Will MoCA and Tivo Mini work with Premiere Series 4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by robh56, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Sep 2, 2017 #1 of 33
    robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015

Advertisements

Now that my Belkin @TV is acting up and Belkin no longer supports it, I'm looking to ditch it for a new solution to feed live TV and recordings on my Premiere Series 4 (serial # TCD 746320, activated in 2012) to a different room. Since I have not found a solution to feed it to my MacBook, I'm looking to get an inexpensive small TV and use a Tivo Mini with Tivo's MoCA to feed live TV and recordings from the Premiere Series 4 to the TV, with the ability to control the Premiere Series 4 from the Mini in the other room. But it's unclear from the Tivo site whether the Premiere XL can:
    1) use Tivo's MoCA. Although it looks like it can, it appears I might need TWO Tivo bridges, one at the router and one with the Premiere. Is that correct?
    2) use the Tivo Mini. Some references indicate it can, while others only reference Premiere XL4 and newer Tivos.

(P.S. It seems as if Tivo Online should allow me to actually view actual live TV and my recorded shows in my home, but the live feed is not available and trying to watch shows I've recorded invariably sends me to Amazon to pay for the episode I've already recorded. Not sure what Tivo Online is supposed to accomplish....)

Thanks for any insight.

2. Sep 2, 2017 #2 of 33
    peaston

peaston New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Google ctivo its works great to get the files from my tivo to my Mac and Plex server

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robh56 likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2017 #3 of 33
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Mini only works with a host Tivo that has 4 tuners or more.

In your case, no.

PCurry57, robh56 and kpeters59 like this.
  4. Sep 2, 2017 #4 of 33
    robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanks, though I thought I read that the only issue is that one of the two tuners won't be available for recording on the Premiere when you're using the Tivo Mini. Good to know if that's not the case.

Gotta say, it's so absurdly difficult and expensive to get Tivo to other rooms now that I won't be buying another one at this point. Many hundreds of dollars (including service) for... what, a nice guide?

5. Sep 2, 2017 #5 of 33
    robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015

Advertisements

And thanks for the Ctivo reminder. I might try it for recorded shows. Problem is, I want to watch live TV too, ideally without having to have another cable box.

6. Sep 2, 2017 #6 of 33
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But such a good deal if one already has an extendable TiVo box, doing the extension to other rooms through Mini's (as vs. having to buy whole new TiVo boxes, each with its own subscription, or even a separate subscription for a Mini--the earlier "solutions")--assuming that one's home network will support it.

7. Sep 2, 2017 #7 of 33
    robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    True, if you have an extendable box. But the Bolt costs $200 minimum (and really you want at least the $300 model for 150 hours storage), plus $150 a year or $550 for lifetime (which I've done on the two Tivos I owned). So, $750 to $800 minimum if you figure it's good for at least four years. Plus a $150 Mini, and a MoCA network. Yikes. I've always loved Tivo, but I'm afraid not that much.

8. Sep 2, 2017 #8 of 33
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    robh56 likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2017 #9 of 33
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It really isn't that expensive or difficult if you had purchased a 4-tuner model (which were available in 2012) or have a Roamio or newer model (which were released in 2013). Your options are just limited due to the 2-tuner model that you have. Some of us use features on our TiVo's that are not available on cable company DVR's (such as transferring shows to and from our PC's) so it's not just a nice guide and it actually saves me money in the long run over Comcast's DVR solution with multiple TV's.

If you are happy with the Premiere you could look at a used 4-tuner model with lifetime or a used Roamio with lifetime for a lot less money than new.

Scott

robh56 and kpeters59 like this.
  10. robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Well, true, IF I had gotten the very much more expensive four-tuner model at the time. But I didn't, so that doesn't help me one bit, does it? And the cost of the device, as you know, isn't the biggest cost over time. It's having to buy ANOTHER lifetime subscription. As far as I know, the "lifetime: subscription can't be transferred to a new device anymore. So it really isn't much if any cheaper than getting a Bolt. If Tivo needs a perpetual monthly/annual service fee to survive, fine, but it's no longer providing enough value to me, especially given all the streaming alternatives out there now.

11. robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That's why I suggested used options that already have lifetime. (and you could sell your 2-tuner with lifetime to recoup a little of the cost).

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Well, maybe. But you have to trust the seller more than I'm willing for that much money.

14. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There have been Premiere 4's and XL4's all with 4 tuners and lifetime with upgraded 2TB hard drives selling for $300 or less, and there have been a number of Roamio Pro or Plus 6 tuner units with lifetime, and the plus's with upgraded hard drives for $600 or less.
    These can be found on Ebay where you have the Ebay and Paypal protections and sometimes right here in the Ebay auction forums,
    eBay Auction Central
    If you use Paypal and pay for a device, not gift, you also have some protection.
    I don't recommend Craigs List, however.

robh56, HerronScott and kpeters59 like this.
  15. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You need to purchase a standalone Tivo Stream device to view content from a dual tuner premiere using Tivo Online. Tivo doesn't sell them anymore, but you can find used ones on Ebay or Amazon.

robh56 likes this.
  16. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    1) the 746 and 748 model TiVo's are two tuner models and CAN NOT provide live TV signal for a Mini. A mini could play any content recorded or currently recording.

2) the 746 and 748 model TiVo's DO NOT have the MOCA bridge built in and will require an Wired Ethernet and/or MOCA bridge.

You made no mention of the TV source Cable/OTA. Yes the 746 and 748 TiVo's were the last models that could do both concurrently. If your using OTA antenna a Roamio OTA could provide the live TV tuner for a Mini. It to will need a Wired Ethernet connection as it is without built in MOCA.

Watching via TiVo online requires a TiVo Stream either stand alone or built into a six tuner Roamio or the Bolt.

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    robh56 likes this.
  17. robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Thanks for all your responses, they helped a lot. For anyone in the future looking to simply get a feed from Tivo to other devices, my solution was to buy a refurbished M1 Slingbox for about $55 on Amazon. It's working great. I get access to the Tivo from my PC (and I gather any other device) just like with the @TV, except it works way better--no stuttering, better picture, more accurate virtual remote. Not sure how long Sling/Dish will support the service, but for now, it's a great cheap solution that gets me back to what I wanted, only better, and for hundreds of dollars less than Tivo solutions.

fcfc2 likes this.
  18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When the slingbox controls tivo others are prevented from using the Tivo. With the Tivo stream, more than one person can use the Tivo at the same time.

19. robh56

robh56 New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Good point, though with MoCA (I don't have Ethernet to the Premiere), it would still be considerably more expensive. Plus, I want live TV too, not just recorded content, and I gather the Stream is just for recorded content. Also, does it need to be activated by Tivo? And will it stream to a Mac? I also read some issues with used devices not getting deauthorized so they don't work.

20. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, it needs to be activated and be on your account. Stream just does not need a subscription (or its included.)