Will Mini Vox work with my TIVO Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by matonanjin, Oct 20, 2020.

1. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Bolt set up in my family room. Increasingly, due to my wife's and my health we are watching television in our bedroom. In our bedroom I'm using a Magnavox DVR and doubly recording stuff. PIA

Will the Mini Vox allow me to watch recorded stuff on my Bolt in the bedroom? Will it be difficult to setup? Will it be difficult to setup for an old, chubby, retired, broken down guy? Will I have to pay for another monthly fee for the EPG?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, what you describe is entirely the purpose of the Mini in the TiVo ecosystem.

The preferred setup uses wired connections (Ethernet or coax/MoCA) for the DVR and Mini, but solid wireless setups can also be made to work; and TiVo even offers a new wireless adapter for the Mini VOX/LUX should a wired connection not be possible.

3. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Just to take things a little further than krkaufman did (he did a great job, just a few more things to cover for you) there's no additional fee for the mini once you buy it and use it on your account. You have the fee for the main TiVo, but no additional charge for the mini to be used on your account (other than the cost of the hardware).

Setup is really easy (other than the wiring or configuring the wireless) and you'd find it pretty trivial to accomplish. Once configured, it just lets you play content that was recorded on the Bolt or use one of the tuners in the bolt to give you live TV if you choose that option.

I love having a couple of mini's (more than a couple actually, as I have 5 in my household, paired up with 2 Edges and 1 Bolt or Roamio) and really like the savings in not having to pay for an additional cable card for those TVs and not having to pay a TiVo monthly fee, annual fee or lifetime fee for the mini's.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No. All-In service is included with all new Mini purchases.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

If the Bolt isn't connect to Ethernet then a Mini probably won't work for you. You're looking at $200 for the Mini and $60 for the wireless adapter assuming you have a router configured for WiFi and your bolt is connected to Ethernet. If you have Ethernet in your bedroom you can just use that for the Mini without the WiFi adapter. To use Moca you would have to install a POE filter where the coax is connected to the splitter. Not sure if you are up to that task. Might be cheaper to just move the Bolt to your bedroom. The Bolt has built in WiFi, if you don't have Ethernet in your Bedroom. A Bolt isn't that heavy.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    We recently helped a mostly blind member get his setup working again, better than before, after a Comcast tech wreaked havoc in his junction box, so I expect that you'll be able to get things working, provided some support. Just don't be concerned about asking questions.

But to get started, you'd want to provide some details on your setup...
    • whether you're tuning OTA or cable (CableCARD);
    • what type of Internet service you have (cable, DSL, ??);
    • check and communicate whether you have Ethernet or coax connections available in the rooms where your DVR, Mini and modem/router are located;
    • if applicable, detail how the coax lines between your rooms and the incoming cable signal interconnect, where and through what component(s).
    • state how the BOLT is currently networked.

edit: p.s. See also: Guides|How To|Get Connected| How to connect to your home network

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  7. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Thanks @terpfan1980 , @shwru980r and @krkaufman for responding. It looks like this post will cover most the questions so I'll answer these.

I am tuning OTA
    I have DSL (a slow one from local phone company).
    I have ethernet connections and coax in the family room and bedroom and wireless through out the house, of course.
    I'm not sure how to answer "how the coax lines.....signal interconnect, where and through what component(s)." In both rooms in question, the Bolt and Magnavox get its signal from the coax from an OTA antenna. In the family room the Bolt gets its internet connection from wireless. I have the ethernet dedicated to my Roku there. In the bedroom the ethernet goes to my Roku TV.
    In both rooms I could consider dedicating (or trying) the ethernet to the Bolt and, soon to be, Mini and running the two Rokus on wireless.

I hope this clears up any questions. Thanks again for responding you guys

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That would work. You could also add a small GigE network switch to each location to allow all your devices to ride the Ethernet.

9. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I think the GigE network switch is going to be too much trouble. But I may have to. We have such crappy internet service I have to do everything possible to help.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back here in a couple days, on my knees, begging for further help. I just bought the Mini Vox. I'm trying to get her to send it second day in time to watch Nebraska/Ohio State at 11 AM Saturday! :D;)

Thanks again you three.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003