Will I see performance increase with Wireless N?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Beachbum55, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004

Advertisements

I have a Series 3 HD with a Tivo G USB adapter connected to a Linksys wireless N router. I have Comcast cable Internet and normally get up to 25 Mbps download speed.

Based on the processor speed of my Series 3 HD, will I benefit that much from the new Tivo Wireless N USB adapter?

I want to buy another Tivo USB adapter for another Tivo box, but I wasn't sure if I should just wait for the release of the Tivo N adapter or just buy another G adapter.

2. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    You won't get any speed benefit. The original Tivo wireless g adapter outperforms a direct ethernet connection. Since the new N adapter is a wireless bridge that connects to the ethernet port, I can't see how it would result in a faster connection than a direct connection. The nature of the hardware and software limit the speed of transfers. The Tivo (except for the latest model) has just enough CPU power to handle its general operation and almost no headroom for any more processes or CPU load. Just indexing the guide data slows things down quite a bit. High speed transfers are not in the cards for the Series 3. The Series 4 is different hardware and its file transfer performance is much improved.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's nonsense. Please post your performance specs to prove this outrageous allegation.

That's closer to being true. The highest transfer rates of which I know have been achienved by Jamie P., with speeds in excess of 112 Mbps using a Gigabit Ethernet adapter and backported USB drivers. I regularly get up to 45 Mbps layer 3 throughput using stock Ethernet drivers, which is in excess of the ability of 802.11g.

I have been waiting to see such evidence, but haven't come across any. Do you have a link?

4. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Performance is quite a bit faster. Check out the sticky thread in the Premiere forum. Here's one image:

[​IMG]

5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006

Advertisements

You are probably not going to see a big improvement in your Internet download speeds by upgrading to wireless N. Amazon VOD performance at least seems to top off below wireless G speeds. There may be other Tivo-internet-providers that have better results, though I am not familiar with any.

If your second Tivo box is an S3, THD or premiere you will see much improved transfer speeds between your boxes with a faster connection.

I would strongly recommend going with MoCA (network over coax). It is competitive price-wise and is faster (at least for transfers between Tivos) and more stable than wireless.

6. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks all for the response! Kind of what I thought. I'm going to pick up a Tivo USB for my old box so I can improve the transfer speed and update the security.

The good news as that I recently changed from a dog slow DSL connection to Cable Internet, which helped my VOD through Netflix.

7. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    As counter intuitive as it may seem, the direct ethernet connection is slower than the wireless g adapter when I am transferring shows to the Tivo from my desktop computer. As outrageous as you may believe this to be - try it yourself. My "performance specs" involve watching the clock to see how long it takes and it takes a lot longer with a direct connection. I suspect it has to do the USB port using less CPU power than the ethernet port.

As far as using backported drivers, you're forgetting that you have to hack the Series 3 to enable them. Hacking the series 3 involves burning a custom prom chip and having someone solder it in and remove the old chip without damage. In capable hands the risk is not too severe -- but beyond the skill level of most people that hack their Tivo.

If you just want answers you already agree with or already know the answer to, you're wasting time here aren't you?