Will I Get An HR20 For My HR10?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by newsshooterderek, Aug 27, 2007.

1. newsshooterderek

newsshooterderek New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Tustin, CA USA
    I just used my Protection Plan to have my dead HR!0-250 replaced, however the Protection Plan people were unable to tell me what they would replace it with. Do you think they'll replace it with an HR10-250 or an HR20-700?

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Bet the farm, HR20. Helluva deal, eh?

3. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    You will get a hr20-100 or a hr20-700, after it is installed you can call and request a new dish. Make sure they do not increase your commitment when you activate the replacement HR20. Units replaced under the Protection Plan are not supposed to add to the commitment.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    so will they give you a free dish and the necessary switch too? I wouldnt mind if my tivo 'broke' and they gave me a refurb hr20 for free in place of it as long as i got free dish install and m/s too.

the new dvr needs the new switch right?

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Not necessarily. If you have the regulatory two cables going to your DVR, then no new multiswitch should be needed. You will, however, need the BBCs (usually included in the box) to receive some of the new channels coming online later.

6. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    ok cool, for some reason i thought you needed the new switch to see the new birds

7. or270

or270 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Modoc...
    Just make sure you have the 5 LNB dish. Also if the HR10-250 is an owned receiver you can get the HR20 marked as owned also with a call to the access card department.

P.S. the HR20 most likely will be refurbished, But it comes with a new RF remote, cables and BBC's.

8. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    The new dish has a built in M/S but if you need more than the 4 outputs then you would need a new M/S as well to see the new birds.

9. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Not only that but you could then "fix" and activate your HR10 and have both.

10. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    great info..see i dont mind keeping the hdtivos hooked up to the old dish and setup i have now. If i can just add the dish and cables and not need a m/s that's great! I dont need ota on the hr20 because hdtivo takes care of that.

sounds like i just need a complete new setup box and dish. and heck i could spring for the 100 dollar dish if i get a free dvr. Would love no commitment but wont push it.

the 'owned' hr20....i believe what you say but...sorta dont if you know what i mean. I cant believe with all the crap they have about this leasing they would let you own this new thing. But cant hurt to try!

i guess i have to get on the protection plan asap

11. newsshooterderek

newsshooterderek New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Tustin, CA USA
    Well, I already have another HR20-700 hooked up, so I'm good with dish and all. What's the difference between the HR20-100 and the HR20-700? I would hope they would replace an HD DVR with another HD DVR.

12. Vuce

Vuce New Member

May 4, 2004
    western Mass
    I've got the same issue. I have an HR10 that is acting funky right now. I have the protection plan. But I also have the new dish already. If I call when/if the HR10 dies, will they just mail me a new one or will an installer have to come out to do a 3 minute job? When this happened two years ago they just mailed me one and I mailed the broken one back to them.

13. henryld

henryld New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Friendswood, Tx
    I'm in the same situation you are except 3LNB dish. Called D* on 8-18 and they scheduled a service call for tomorrow PM instead of sending a replacement unit. I will post the outcome.

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    They are pretty much identical. The different number denotes manufacturer and updates have different codes, but function-wise, they are the same.

15. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    the fed-ex'd mine and told me I did not have to return the HR10, was supposed to have a new dish installed last saturday but the "installer up and quit without mentioning it to anyone" - they are due out on 9/1 between 8 and 12 again

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    please do, no way would i want them to come out and take my hdtivo. But i wouldnt mind if they gave me a free dish :)

17. henryld

henryld New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Friendswood, Tx
    I wonder what factors they consider before making the decision to send a replacement unit or schedule a service call (my situation)? My unit has a faulty HDMI output and suffers from frequent spontaneous reboots and occasional lockups/freezes & will not respond to remote commands.

18. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i've heard if you say no power light they cant even run any tests per their scripts

19. henryld

henryld New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Friendswood, Tx
    Guess I could have done that, but with my luck, they would have setup a service call anyway and I would be caught red handed. :eek:

20. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    It will be an HR20 but they'll let you keep your HR10-250.

Most of the time the hard drive goes bad in a dvr. If you get stuck on powering up or you have problems pausing or playing recorded shows, it's most likely a hard drive failing. Purchase a new one from dvrupgrade.com, weaknees.com or here! :D