TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Will I be able to record YouTubeTV shows on TIVO DVR?

Tags
dvr youtubetv
7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  302481 
#1 ·
I'm considering cutting the Comcast cord and replacing it with YouTube TV. Will I still be able to use TIVO as the DVR for programs I watch on YouTube TV or must I use YouTube TV's DVR? If I have to use Youtube's DVR, will I still have access to the recordings that are currently stored within TIVO, just not be able to add to them? Any other quirks you've experienced using Youtube TV with TIVO? Thanks!

#4 ·
The YouTube TV app is completely separate from the YouTube app. I don't think any OTA DVR lets you record from a streaming service. Anyone know of one that allows it.

FYI, the YouTube TV DVR doesn't work like the Comcast DVR. When you select a show to DVR, it then saves every episode broadcast after that date to the cloud DVR. You can't select just to record new episodes, or just a certain channel. It's all or nothing. You can't delete just one recorded episode. It's everything or nothing. Philo works the same way.

#6 ·
You could probably get your own QAM modulator in order to record YTTV on Tivo. Last time I checked, these started around $1300. Of course you'd have to do all manual recordings and make sure the thing you want is playing on your streaming device at the right time. Obviously you'd have essentially a single tuner and would have to watch whatever channel you're recording. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for nothing to me.

I have to ask why you wouldn't just use the cloud DVR that comes with YTTV. Are you just trying to sqeeze a little more life out of your Tivo after you switch to streaming? I don't think your Tivo will be much use after you switch, unless you can use it as an OTA DVR.

#10 ·
You could probably get your own QAM modulator in order to record YTTV on Tivo. Last time I checked, these started around $1300. Of course you'd have to do all manual recordings and make sure the thing you want is playing on your streaming device at the right time. Obviously you'd have essentially a single tuner and would have to watch whatever channel you're recording. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for nothing to me.

I have to ask why you wouldn't just use the cloud DVR that comes with YTTV. Are you just trying to sqeeze a little more life out of your Tivo after you switch to streaming? I don't think your Tivo will be much use after you switch, unless you can use it as an OTA DVR.
(replied below)

#7 ·
I really love TIVO. I like the ease of using the remote, the interface, the ease of which I can be very specific re what I want to record, easily skip through commercials, easily record multiple channels as I am watching tv. I have many recordings that I have kept for several years (such as Journeys in Japan episodes, some House Hunter International episodes, some movies that I want to watch again, episodes that aren't easily accessible elsewhere). I'm coming to realize if I discontinue cable, TIVO will likely fall into disuse except when I may want to watch recordings I have stored there. (I'm in the beginning stages researching the pros/cons of switching from cable.)

#11 ·
I really love TIVO. I like the ease of using the remote, the interface, the ease of which I can be very specific re what I want to record, easily skip through commercials, easily record multiple channels as I am watching tv.
I think we're all with you there. But you have to give up a few luxuries if you want to save money.

For the remote, get a universal that has the same layout as your Tivo remote and map your Roku functions onto it.

I don't know all the ins and outs of Youtube TV, but you can get quite granular on most other cloud DVR services - record new episodes or all, specific channels, specific resolutions, limit number of recordings, etc.

The interface is different, but not radically so. The essentials are there - guide, search, recording list, schedule management, recording management, live TV.

Multiple channels are not a problem. I can record 20 things simultaneously if I want.

Commercial skip is not available on streaming services, that's true. But you can still skip the old fashioned way by pressing skip a couple of times. You could even make a macro that does this for you on a universal remote. This will get you pretty close most of the time.

Bottom line, if you're not willing to adapt and give up a few things, you'll just have to keep paying your cable company indefinitely.

#8 ·
No, you can only record shows from cable or over the air broadcasts with any TiVo. And I don't think the YouTube app on TiVo works with YouTubeTV either, you need to get another device like a Roku or Apple TV with a different YouTube app for YouTube TV. And yes you can still watch any old recordings you made on the TiVo after you cancel cable.
I do have Roku. If I switch from Comcast to YouTube TV, it sounds like I'd use my Roku remote to control the tv (power on/off/audio) and as the main interface to access YouTube TV, as well as any other apps (eg Netflix, Hulu) I may also want. Correct?

#9 ·
The YouTube TV app is completely separate from the YouTube app. I don't think any OTA DVR lets you record from a streaming service. Anyone know of one that allows it.

FYI, the YouTube TV DVR doesn't work like the Comcast DVR. When you select a show to DVR, it then saves every episode broadcast after that date to the cloud DVR. You can't select just to record new episodes, or just a certain channel. It's all or nothing. You can't delete just one recorded episode. It's everything or nothing. Philo works the same way.
Well that sucks :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.