Will HDTiVo Have Any Resale Value After 3/1/2006

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gatorbait, Jan 20, 2006.

1. gatorbait

gatorbait Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Salt Lake...
    Just curious what your thoughts are on the value of the HR10-250 after DirecTV moves to the leasing model they have discussed.

What will this due to the eBay resale value of our units?

Any thoughts.

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Probably they will be $399 or lower, maybe some will go for $500 for a while.
    The price will shift a good amount once the HR20 is release though..

And then take another kick in the pants when T3 (Tivo Series 3) is released.

3. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Or will the value be zero, same monthly cost to lease and no upfront cost.
    The value will probably be high until I decide to get rid of mine:)

4. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I think they will hold some value given that D* will only offer the NDS box for an HD DVR. The H10-250 is Tivo based, offers 30 sec skip hack and is HD upgradable. None of these will be availble on the NDS DVR.

I would think that we may even see a slight demand for these boxes on ebay given the dislike for the D* NDS offereing.

5. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Even if the NDS box is better and that's a BIG if, there will always be a good market for it to the Fanboys here that have their head in the sand.

Given that it is more likely to not be superior right away, that fanboy market should be even stronger.

6. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Wow. Angry guy.

S1 DirecTivo's held their value for quite a while, since they had flash-PROMS. Before the S2's were easily hacked, the S1's were highly desireable.

Now, the S2's (pre-R10) are highly desireable, while the R10 isn't. And the R15 has almost no value.

I'd expect the HR10's to be more valuable once they stop making them, and until the Series 3 Tivo's come out.

7. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Oh, I'm not angry, I meant it half seriously and half tongue in cheek. I just expect that "Brand Loyalty" to keep the value high. Don't get me wrong Abmagfab. I'm not angry at all

8. InertiaGirl

InertiaGirl Lurker

Jan 21, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I'm actually one of those people who really wants to keep TiVo, but I won't get an HDTV for at least a few months. I'm starting to panic now and wonder if I should get one of the current boxes now, even before I have the TV for it. So, depending on my ability to do that, I may end up being one of those people in the market for an older model even after the DirecTV non-TiVo box comes out.

9. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    Considering that current Directv customers can call retention and get an HD Tivo for $100-$200 I'd go a head and get one now. I actually got a second one just so I'd have a spare. I activated the new one and took my old one off my account. Most of what I watch comes in from my TV antenna. I'll be using HD Tivo for years to come.

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It seems like "brand loyalty" might be a bad thing in your opinion. If so, I have a different opinion. Tivo has proven since 1999 to be the only reliable PVR interface that has a feature set that contains the most desirable features. Loyalty to Tivo based on that makes perfect sense, and is based solely on NOT having one's head in the sand.

But, let's assume the NDS box comes out and either fairly replicates Tivo's interface and stability, or just plain kicks it's ass. The king is dead, long live the king. Loyalty then to Tivo would indeed be misplaced. That might even make one a "fan boy". But then I'm willing to wait at least until that point before calling anyone by that name.

And that is the criteria that will make HR10's pricey or not. Sure, there is a little cachet to the name "Tivo", but "Westinghouse" also used to have cachet back in the day, and now is primarily a mercenary badge found on bad Korean flat panel displays that have bad service records. How many Westinghouse fan boys are sucked in by the name? A few, I guess. But things change.

Tivo's legacy could live long, or die quickly. It depends on the contenders themselves. Fan boys won't have much influence, IMHO.

11. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    I think my use of the term fanboy has caused my posts to be misunderstood. I wasn't saying that it's good or that it's bad. Just that it is and therefore I think that resale of the box will remain high because there are a large group who will not consider anything else regardless of it's performance.

Hell, I'm a fanboy myself since 1999 when I got my first 14 hour. I only meant that because there is a rabid fan base, resale will likely remain high. Two posters in this thread have said as much. They are now looking for a backup just in case.

Anyway, I didn't intend offense, I was just trying to support my opinion that resale would remain high.

12. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I would think the HR10-250 should hold decent value (few hundred $) for a while, until they completely switch to Mpeg 4 for evreything. Even then, you would still use it for OTA as long as there was guide data in the stream.

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Maybe I just don't have the same definition of "fanboy", but I think it means people who vigorously (if not blindly) follow their allegiance to celebrity or technology, regardless of blatant evidence being available as to why they should probably not. It's a bit similar to Stockholm syndrome, something I have regularly accused many DISH PVR owners of being under the influence of (and probably unfairly). Or maybe we agree on that one.

I'm glad you are sensitive to the issues, and I, for one, am not at all offended by your contributions. You have to admit that some of your posts are a little flip, but then I have to admit the same. It's the internet, ferchrissake, and manners are a little wild here, kind of like a biker bar in Australia. Most of us have developed a thick skin, in any case. And when in Rome...

There are posters that I wish would just please go away, and then there are posters that post "interestingly", and I find them quite entertaining. Please keep posting, as I consider you among that latter group.

I just don't happen to share your opinion that the fanboy factor is strong enough to make a diff. While most of the posters here are not fanboys, pretty much all of the fanboys are posters here, and that's a very tiny percentage of owners. The forums skew heavily toward fanboy behavior, comparitive to the owner base, as I'm sure you are aware. I'm surprised we don't see more here, actually.

14. Billy66

Dec 15, 2003
    Thanks Tyrone.

I will say that my posting tone has changed over the last several months and it could be gleaned from those months alone that I'm anti TiVo or something like that. I'm not, not at all. I couldn't wait to get my first 14 hour TiVo back in 99 and I've enjoyed TiVo in one variety or another everyday of my life since.

It seems lately though that my role here, the one I've chosen anyway, is one to temper the "TiVo is the greatest and always will be" mantra. I have a lot of really positive things to say about the company and of course the product, but there are so many others that fill that role here, so I don't duplicate it. Thus I'm finding myself offering the counterpoint much more regularly.

Anyway, I've enjoyed this place for years (since 99 under another username) and I think that will continue.

15. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    I have noticed the change in your tone and had assumed you had gone negative (or maybe to the dark side). Interesting to hear you apparently haven't.

16. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    People throw this around like its actually easy to do. I called D* several times. The best price I was every offered was $399 plus a few programming concessions. I moved to Comcast.

17. vdubuclet

vdubuclet New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Dallas

Is there even a remote possibility that the guide data would be taken out of the stream? That would render the HR10-250 useless and IMHO D* taking that step when they are signing people up for two year contracts could be grounds for a lawsuit.

18. InertiaGirl

InertiaGirl Lurker

Jan 21, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I started this process already with an email and they just told me about the $200 rebate and 6 months of free HD. I'm not getting the TV for another month so I'll take it easy for a while before I really try negotiating. I may be in a tough spot since we don't get Comcast here, just Cox cable, and I don't think they're offering anything as attractive as the Comcast deals. But this is wandering off topic.

Good to hear that you can make the HD TiVo work with the over the air local channels. I'd say that's about half of what I watch and record. I have a little bitty crawlspace where I hope I can fit the antenna.

19. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    The writings on the wall folks.

I am really, really dreading the day, my next purchased DVR from DirecTV that won't be "tivo powered".

I recently resurrected a dead DSR6000. I just couldn't take having a R15 in the house. Sure, it was only $39.99 after $55 MIR (mail in rebate) for a 120GB drive, $20 for the ptvupgrade.com CD and another $19.99 for a new fan. But I did have my TIVO back in service.

I could have picked up an R15 for free. I opted for my new bionic tivo. (aka new fan, new hard drive). We can rebuild him... Stronger... faster... You know, nah, nah nah... No, like Steve Austin said -- na, na, na... na..

See my tag for Tivo descriptions. Ugh, R15, I can hardly wait or some other non-TIVO powered DVR.

:(

20. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Why would someone want to sell a wonderful HDtivo? :) Unless you hate the box that much of course

1. it will definitely work for DTV channels until mpeg2 is turned off so why would you even think of selling it before then? It will literally be an antique :)
    2. in theory, anyone buying the thing would hopefully know that eventually mpeg2 will be turned off and thus I'd think the value would decrease
    3. even the people who like to open these boxes up will only have OTA to play with eventually and I dont think someone will pay hundreds just for an OTA tivo, no matter how bad the new dvr is.

So my guess is the resale eventually will settle down to 99 bucks or so. A happy mix for the person that spent 1K vs the person who only wants OTA abilities.