Will HD Tivo improve my TWC Digital Cable decoding

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rcaminos, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rcaminos

rcaminos New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    Albany, NY
    I've been using Tivo and TW Digital Cable for 6 years. I've had no issues for most of my channels but for some reason History Channel, Spike TV, National Geographic and Fit TV have major decoding issues. What happens is the picture becomes pixelated and the audio drops out occasionally and very often. TWC has told me that the issue is that my wires are tangled up which I know is a lie because it's obviously something either wrong with the cable box or something on their end.
    Since the HD Tivo would eliminate the need for a STB, I'm wondering if it would allow me to watch Modern Marvels without the sound dropping out?

2. txagfan

txagfan New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    It is possible you have a signal problem. Pixelation, sound drop offs could be too low a signal/ingress in the lines.

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Don't let them tell you the problem is on your side. Have them come out and prove it. Most likely they are at fault.

4. TiVoMonkey

TiVoMonkey New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    The Jungle
    If that were true, there would be multiple customers with the same problem, and they'd certainly be aware and trying to fix it.

Cable companies have some sophisticated and not so sophisticated devices that watch all channels for pixelation and other problems that are on their end, and definitely fix them.

They obviously can't see individual customer's pixelation, drops, or sound drop problems with these devices.

Even if the problem is on the customer's end, the customer can't always fix it, and would need someone to come out to find signal problems.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

what about the drop from the pole to the house?

ajwees41

6. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    No. By "on their end" I mean anything outside your house. It might only affect you. I had the same problem a while ago, they had to run all new cables from the drop outside the house into my house.

Also, most people don't complain, they suffer in silence.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Bzzz. Wrong. Thanks for playing. :)

You can certainly have a cable problem that only impacts one customer - drop to the house, splits at the house, hot signal, etc.

I agree with others - have the cable company check out your signal. Digital is much less forgiving than analog.

8. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I think when it comes to getting ideal reception, digital is more forgiving than analog, but because of that they tend to get sloppy with the signal levels. They have a conflict of interest - if the analog reception is too good it weakens one of the selling points of upgrading to digital.

9. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    I am getting LARGE issue with pixelation. My signal is 100 according to the meter in the Tivo. Comcast was here and checked signal at every step of the cable coming into the house and all the way to the TivoHD. He says it's about as close to perfect as he has seen. The house is only 2 months old and top of the line cable was used.

The weird part is that cable card 1 get less pixelation than cable card 2. But both do pixelate. The TivoHD is much worse on the digital channels than the old moto dvr from comcast.

That being said. Comcast is coming back today with new cards as I have other issues also.

10. Tallguy001

Tallguy001 Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am having the same problem with Time Warner. Card 1 is watchable, but there are noticable audio drop-offs and some pixelation. On card 2, all my digital channels have severe pixelation. I am hoping that it is a signal issue that can be remedied and not the TivoHD. I have a truck roll scheduled for tomorrow.

11. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    In my case we have already ruled out signal issues. Now I'm waiting on new cards.