Will Hard drive work if???

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sabre70, Oct 9, 2011.

1. sabre70

sabre70 New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Hi. I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I am looking to upgrade the HD in my Premiere for a bigger one. I have no issues cracking the unit open and doing it. My question is: will the original premiere hard drive work in my TivoHD. It would double the space on my THD with out buying a HD for that one too. Any insight is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No. The software of each model is different.

You will have to re-image(re-program) the 320 GB drive from the Premiere to use it in the Tivo HD.

This re-imaging can be done using the WinMfs program and procedures as described in the S3/HD 'Drive Upgrade sticky thread. You will need to connect the Tivo drives to a computer to do this "re-programming".

Having said that, (imo)the wisest thing to do is just to keep the original Premiere drive, as is, to use as a back up, should the need arise.

3. sabre70

sabre70 New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Thanks, I was afraid that the software would be the issue. I appreciate the help.

4. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    I have to second what dwit said;
    keep the old hdd on the shelf

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    With Tivos older than the Premiere it would be ok to pass the drive down the food chain because you can always re-image a new drive without needing the old drive. With the Premiere, you can only do a drive-to-drive copy with JMFS so the old drive is, in effect, your backup image.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why not just get an external DVR Expander? It's so much easier to upgrade that way. I know it creates a second point of failure, and requires an extra plug to power, but it's so convenient. You can literally add a TB of space in about 2 minutes.

Dan

7. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I was going to use an external expander, then re-thought it. If you've built computers, or even just replaced hard drives, and have no fear of booting off a CDROM, the process is easy enough. Excellent information and software is available on the internet. I used this method http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/ Worked perfectly !

I upgraded one of my Premiere units to 1TB. I liked the idea of having the extra drive space all under the hood, with no extra power brick to plug in and no External drive cluttering up the place. Also I started thinking that if my main TIVO drive fails (perish the thought), I'll have a new drive all ready to go that I know will work meaning the original 320gig drive I just replaced.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Upgrading a TiVos internal drive is not hard, but adding an external drive is significantly easier. With an external drive you simply attach it to the TiVos SATA port, plug it in and then reboot when prompted. That's it. It's so simple that anyone, even those with no computer experience, can do it.

While I understand that there are still those that prefer upgrading the internal drive, the method was devised back before there was an official way to add external storage. Now that we have an official way to upgrade via external storage the only reason to upgrade internally is really just personal preference.

Dan

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still prefer not to have a second point of failure. if the external drive was not married to the internal drive I wouldn't have an issue doing it. That is the one thing I like about the cable company DVRs. They typically don't marry the two drives so there are no worries about losing the content on the internal drive.