Will dvr expander work if i replace tivos 160 gig drive with another 160 gig drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tootal2, Jul 10, 2011.

1. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I replaced a bad 160 gig drive in a tivo hd with a 160 gig drive i took out of my other tivo hd 3 years ago. Will the dvr expander work with ths harddrive?

thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you were to replace the internal drive, you would have to remove the external drive before you 'clone' that internal. It would mean losing your recordings in the process.

You would be better off, upgrading to a 1 TB single drive.

On a 2 drive system, if either HD fails, you would have problems and lose recordings.

On a 1 drive system, if the drive fails, you can copy off the entire drive over to another without the possibility of losing anything.

3. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I just hook the dvr expander to the tivo. And the wd dvr expander is working with the 160 gig replacement drive in tivo.

[QUOThatbtO;8605422]If you were to replace the internal drive, you would have to remove the external drive before you 'clone' that internal. It would mean losing your recordings in the process.

You would be better off, upgrading to a 1 TB single drive.

On a 2 drive system, if either HD fails, you would have problems and lose recordings.

On a 1 drive system, if the drive fails, you can copy off the entire drive over to another without the possibility of losing anything.[/QUOTE]