Will Charter/Spectrum acquisition of TWC change TIVO service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by PabloB, Sep 25, 2016.

1. PabloB

PabloB New Member

May 13, 2016

Advertisements

I am a TWC customer in Austin, TX. The TWC cable card only allows my Bolt to record 2 shows at t time. Bolt is capable of 4. Also, Tivo cannot access any "on demand" services -- HBO, Showtime, etc. I did not know that prior to buying Tivo. Any chance any of this will change? Thanks.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You must have a very old cable card. TWC should be able to give you a 6 stream M-card today. Charter has been using 6 stream cards for years. My Tivo can also access HBO Go on Charter. If you want Showtime Anytime, you'll have to use some other device like a Roku.

3. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    As long as your Cablecard is an M-Card, which it should be since you're at least getting two tuners, then it should be firmware upgradable to supply all six tuners. I'm thinking maybe you need to call TWC and have them reauthorize your card on your account. If that doesn't work then I agree you should just swap it for a new one.

You're correct that TiVo doesn't have TWC on demand, but there's a very nice TWC app on Roku and you can get one at a decent price, well below $100 now.

4. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    I'm on TWC in Austin as well, and I can definitely record 4 shows at once with my cable card. Something's up with your cable card, or your Bolt.

5. wegotchacovered

wegotchacovered New Member

Apr 1, 2012

Advertisements

I have been going crazy have Tivo Series 2 DT Digital Video Recorder After many tries I figured I needed the Digital Box from Time Warner and still cannot get it to update or load.

Looking at buying new TIVO Bolt wondering if it's compatible Time Warner just became Spectrum nobody knows anything it's still 1/2 & 1/2 . Talked to Samsung and TWC app only available on J Series $7000 & up so no app.

If I buy the Bolt from I read here I still need a Darn Smart TV Tivo Bolt and a Roku to do on demand ? Thats a lot of work with fancy TV and nice new TIVO
    IS THAT MY ONLY CHOICE ?

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The Charter app is only on Roku and only for live TV, absolutely no On Demand. There is no On Demand for Charter on TiVo. I recommend you get a $30 Roku for pseudo On Demand (from individual provider apps) rather than a $7000 TV. Add a universal remote to make source switching and app launching seamless.

Also consider that Charter On Demand sucks to begin with. I had it for years and found it to be utterly worthless. Streaming from the individual providers sites or apps is much better in terms of both content and quality.

Having said that, a $7000 TV would be pretty awesome, if you can afford it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  7. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

Jan 16, 2017
    What brand cablecards support at least 4 tuners? Will Cisco/SA be good as well?

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As stated above, any current M-card will support up to 6 tuners. The manufacturer of the CableCARD that's supplied is dependent on which type of infrastructure your cable company has deployed locally. Motorola and Cisco/SA are the most common ones in use.

Scott