Will cable card still work if I cancel TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by congregator, Feb 17, 2020.

1. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    I have a TiVo Bolt with cablecard and Comcast cable. I'm thinking about canceling TiVo, if I do will I still be able to watch my cable channels? Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Watch, probably. Record, unlikely. No guide. I assume you mean "cancel Comcast". If you cancel your TiVo, I don't know what that means. But if you cancel your TV service but keep your internet from Comcast, they will probably want you to return the card.

3. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    No, I mean cancel TiVo. I don't want to get rid of cable just yet so wondering if the cable cards will still function with or without a TiVo subscription. I understand I won't be able to record or have a guide.

4. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Can't you just cancel your Tivo service, then see what happens? If you don't like the results, you can start up Tivo service again. Also, if you cancel Tivo, they may make you an offer you can't refuse.

5. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Yeah I'll probably just do that. Just not at home atm and was wondering if anyone had already tried this. Thanks.

6. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Even though you wouldn't have guide data, I wonder if that would keep you from setting up manual recordings? So if you know your show comes on Mondays at 8 on channel 4, would not having the TiVo service prevent you from doing that?

7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    My addled memory from on old S2 was that without service, you have no guide data, but can still watch live TV and set up manual recording. YMMV.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  9. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    lol. Welcome to TCF congregator, where many folks don't actually read your question before answering.

You'd think with just a one-line question people would understand what you are asking. It is crazy.

Willy92, hapster85, SNJpage1 and 2 others like this.
  10. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

11. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    Update: I called and cancelled yesterday afternoon but as of this morning I still have TiVo service. Waiting.

Donbadabon likes this.
  12. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I hope you disconnected the Tivo from the internet first. If not do it. You will still get about 10 days of guide if you do this. Also you should Max out your shows to fill the DVR.

Yes the cablecard still works, just don't do any system changes like rerun guided setup.

Your Tivo can still watch Live TV and shows already recorded after the guide runs out. You can also pause live TV.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    congregator and Donbadabon like this.
  13. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I don't think you will get any TIVO up dates to it's software either. Does TIVO send any type of signal to the unit to disable it when you cancel the service?

14. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Yes, that's why you should disconnect it from the internet first. That way it works for a few more weeks. Otherwise the guide and recording stop immediately.

15. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    exactly when do they send the signal? I still have service and and have never disconnected from the internet. I was also just charged for another month which I was trying to avoid.

16. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Did they say it would cancel at the end of your billing period? Did you get a confirmation #?

It usually cancels at the end of the billing period unless you push for them to cancel it now. Just disconnect the internet a day or so before your billing cycle ends.

17. congregator

congregator New Member

Feb 17, 2020
    2 or 3 hours after I called to cancel I was billed for another month. Was not given a confirmation number, guess I'll have to call again.

18. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Log into your account at tivo.com and look under My Support. There should be a Case # for your cancellation request.

19. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Did you fulfill your service commitment? Might be an early termination fee.

20. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

cable cards are not provided by Tivo, so why would you think they are tied to needing Tivo service for the cable cards to work

cwerdna likes this.