Will Bolt Mini work on routed network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by donsullivan, May 4, 2020.

1. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

May 31, 2000
    Orlando, FL
    After updating my home network to some new fully managed gigabit switches I'm looking to evolve the network forward to improve the overall security of the network by segmenting certain services into contained subsets that cannot see most of the rest of the network.

Right now my network is just one flat subnet that bridges across my Eero into the WiFi network with only one IP subnet. I'm looking to turn on the routing function on my Eero (HomeKit router feature) and the Cisco network to move things around into different subnets that will be routed within the house but not always to the outside world.

Will a Bolt Mini, find the Bolt DVR if the two devices are on different subnets? Is there a specific feature I need to have active on the network in order for that to work?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I believe someone had mentioned in another thread that multicast is used for discovery. Also, note that IGMP snooping or proxying will cause discovery issues as well if it's enabled.

Scott

3. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

May 31, 2000
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks,

That is kind of what I suspected the answer to be. Almost everything would work properly by putting all the TiVo hardware into their own subnet to keep it separate but I have one Bolt Mini with the TiVo Wireless adapter which will torpedo the whole thing. And there is absolutely no way to get an ethernet cable to that location. Time to evaluate a plan B for a separate bridged wireless network for the one wireless Bolt Mini so I can properly segment the rest of the network. I think I'm going to need a bigger whiteboard.

4. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    We had always run our LAN as one flat network, 10.0.0.x. We've upgraded our equipment and can now use VLANs. Current set-up is:

A) 10.0.0.x (wired and wireless) for our computers, NAS, iPads and iPhones.
    B) 10.0.20.x (wired and wireless) for our "Internet of Things" stuff (TiVo, Apple TV, Playstation, lights, thermostat, TVs...probably a few other things I'm forgetting).
    C) 10.0.30.x (wired only) for our two security cameras.

We had never set up a VLAN. And it was not easy. But we found a YouTube video or two that walked us through the process. We use rules for special purposes (for example, network A can talk to B and C, but B and C can not talk to A).

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Doesn't this cause issues with the TiVo app on your iPad/iPhones in some cases where it wants to be on the same subnet as well as trying to stream using TiVo Online to your computers?

Scott

6. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Yes, it does. I guess we don't do much of that stuff.

For the rare times we do it's simple to have the iPad/iPhone join the 10.0.20.x wireless network. For example, to set up TiVo out of home streaming on my iPhone I had to temporarily join the 10.0.20.x network. Then switch back to the 10.0.0.x network.

We don't typically leave the iPhones and iPads on the 10.0.20.x network. We could, but we chose to have our main network of 10.0.0.x go through Pi-hole for ad/malware filtering. The 10.0.20.x and 10.0.30.x VLANs do not go through Pi-hole. They could go through Pi-hole, but for now they are not.

7. donsullivan

donsullivan Member

May 31, 2000
    Orlando, FL
    I'm now looking for an AP that I can set up on a specific VLAN with it's own SSID and have all the TiVo components on that same VLAN and bridge the AP into the VLAN. With that config the wired devices are all in the same VLAN and the one Wireless connected Mini will be in that same VLAN and they'll all be in the same subnet. That will give me an environment that looks like I have working now as far as the TiVo is concerned and then I can move everything else in the house.

Then I can turn on the VLAN's and routing and segment out the rest of the network and turn on the HomeKit router features of the Eero environment to kick up the security of my iOT devices in the house.
    Now I just need to find a reasonably priced (and easy to administer) PoE Wireless AP and climb up in the attic to pull an ethernet cable to a location near the wireless Mini. That same AP will need a wall/ceiling mounting adapter since it will need to be mounted at ceiling height or possible directly on the ceiling.

I think the only function I have now that will not work is cTiVo to download content from the TiVo. But I can get around that by just moving the computer over to the SSID the Wireless TiVo is on so I can connect it to the TiVo Bolt to complete the download and then switch back to normal.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  8. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I recommend the Ubiquiti line. We're running the Ubiquiti AC-Pro wireless access point. I think we've had it four to five years and it has performed flawlessly. POE powered, easy to configure. I think they start around $100 and go up. You might ask for buying advice on one of their forums as some of their products are best for many (hundreds) of users, some are best for speed.

Our router is pfSense. Switches are Ubiquiti. All are VLAN capable.