Will an outlet Tivo Premiere be considered used ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tonestert, Aug 2, 2011.

1. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    I have a Tivo HD that has been freezing and acting up so I'm thinking of getting a Premiere but I want to stay on my $12.95 a month bill.
    Crutchfield (the retail store is right up the road from me) has a outlet Tivo that someone returned.

So my question is if I bought that outlet Tivo would I be able to keep my $12.95 a month payments ?
    I'm not on a contract as I've had my HD for over 3 years. It's not in a box but Crutchfield does warranty all their outlet stuff the same as new.

Also can I use my tuner card from my HD in the Premiere ?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Subscription for a Premiere is $19.99 and its unlikely you can keep your old rate.

There are other options to consider,

1. Replace the hard drive, you can get one already prepared at amazon.com for $54.99 for a 250gb to replace the original 160gb. (search for TiVo.)
    2. Look on weaknees.com for same drive.
    3. Look on ebay.com for another TiVo HD or similar box, or another drive.

Getting another replacement drive would mean you have to run Clear & Delete everything for it to work, but you would keep the same subscription for the same box.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    New subs on Premieres cost $19.99/mo ($14.99/mo if you qualify for MSD) doesn't matter if the Premiere is new or used.

Best idea is to buy a new Premiere and put lifetime on it before you cancel the sub on your TiVo HD that will cost you $500 or less depending on what you pay for the Premiere (which will be $99 or less). You will be ahead with lifetime in less than 3 years.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No.

5. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    Thanks everyone,

Someone on my local CL has listed Premiere and claims that it has a 12.95 a month payment plan and it can be transfered. Is that true can I transfer 12.95 plan from someone else ?

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That maybe true.

They might have to "transfer" the whole account to you or CS could transfer the lower rate to your account at the same time they moved the Premiere to your account. I would call TiVo and ask. Given that the person is local you could complete the whole transaction with one call if you have agreed to the price and are at the sellers home when you call.

Good Luck,