Will an M-Card Install Reveal the Extra Pay-Channels I Get?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rich97702, Apr 18, 2011.

1. rich97702

rich97702 New Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I've been able to receive (on just 1 of three TV's) all Cinimax, Showtime, HBO, and Starz channels ever since my cable system was installed in 1996. I am only paying for a modest "tier" of programs, with no extras (such as those above).
    I now own a Tivo Premier XL (TCD748000) and am wondering what anyone here might guess:

Will installing the M-card (or having it installed- don't know how the local Cable Co. handles this yet) reveal the fact that this situations exists?
    If so, I would certainly loose those channels, or, if the M-card is something that is set up after looking at my account to see what I'm paying for, then handed to me to install myself, again, I have to assume I would loose the Pay-channels. I would certainly miss them.

This bit of background may help...
    When I got an error code trying to access VOD I called asking what the problem was. When he got around to a "Hmm... can you hold"? I realized that I might have just lost my "extras". He came back to say they didn't seem to be able to communicate with the set-top box, and when would I like to schedule a service call. "Oh, I was just curious. I'm sure I wouldn't watch it anyway". "You Sure"? "Yeah, no bigee". I never heard anything more about it.

This Tivo seems a wonderful gift, but at what cost (potentially).
    Any educated guesses/thoughts?

Many thanks from someone that doesn't know a DVR from a DMZ,
    Rich

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My guess is that you will not get the extra pay channel with your M card but if the cable guy does not change out your cable box nothing should change for that box, however most cable systems use a cable box time out from 22 to 35 days, if the box gets no communications from the head end it shuts off. This is done to prevent the sale of signal blockers that remove the box from the cable network and than you can cancel all your extra services and the cable box would never know it. I don't understand your setup as you could watch PPV for free I would guess.
    Good luck

3. strejcek

strejcek New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Why not simply pay for what you are getting? That way you would have no worries about losing anything you technically should not be getting in the first place. Let's see now, I sort of remember seeing something, somewhere, that knowingly obtaining, using, or depriving someone (or business) of their property or a right to their property or a benefit from their property commits some sort of crime.

Oh yeah, it's called theft. It's the customers that get something for nothing that causes all of us to pay more.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Theft has to be pro active, if the OP had modified his cable box you would be on point but if my cable box got say the movie channel TMC by some error not of my making I would not be breaking any laws as I may never tune to that channel I never thought I got. If somebody in my family did tune to TMC channel and watched movies how would that person know that a theft was being committed. When I did use a cable box all new cable boxes would get all the premium channels for about a day or so before being set for what i was paying for, you would not think me a thief (I hope) if i watched any of those channels in that first few days.

5. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    He is doing what is called

Passive Theft

Passive theft occurs when someone moves into a new residence or business facility and notices that the premise receives cable services without an account, but nevertheless does not take any steps to become a subscriber or have the service disconnected.

By the box getting the channels for a couple of days while getting the right setup is not theft but the op is stealing cable.

6. strejcek

strejcek New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I believe you are trying to define pro active as intent. Seeing as how the OP has in fact been receiving channels he does not pay for for several years would show intent on his part to steal cable service. That and the fact that he dismissed the cable company's attempts to rectify his PPV issues also shows his intent to steal cable and continue stealing cable. All of this does in fact add up to theft.

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    For the past 4 years my checking account has received a weekly wire deposit of $214.87 from a local merchant that I've never done business with. I asked about it initially because I was concerned that my account could see withdrawals from this merchant, but my bank assured me that the e-authorization was "deposit only". At first I set the money aside in a savings account, but over time, I've come to use it for "emergency" purchases and vacations.

The funny thing is that I moved 2 years ago, and now use an alternate bank. Still I've kept the old account open, as the weekly deposits still continue faithfully. I suppose it's OK as it just sorta fell into my lap.

^_^

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That is not Kosher as you have no known right to the money and could face a BIG problem if you are ever caught (are you paying taxes on the windfall ?)

And on the OP thief of cable, if he did nothing to the cable co equipment he would face no legal charges for his so called thief, the cable co. is responsible to make an appointment with the OP to fix their cable box that the cable co knows has a problem, if than the OP would not let the cable co in his home, the cable co could cut the cable line into his home until he open his home to them.
    I get new channels all the time, some i received some I don't, with over 900 channels I don't know every channel I am paying for with the many digital packages, when I signed up for the triple play I told the cable co what i wanted, they said I would have to take the X package that included much more than I asked for, so any new station may or may not be part of my package, if I receive it it's mine to receive, IE when TiVo added the MGM channel, it came in so I assume it was made part of my X package but i don't know for sure and I have no obligation to find out.
    I have doubt that anybody has been prosecuted for passive cable thief, receiving and using money that's not yours is a different matter.

9. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    While they argue because they are mad their cable company didn't make the same mistake, I'll share my experience. Before my TiVo was connected were had been receiving HBO Family, HD Theater, and a few other HD channels that were not in our basic HD package. When my TiVo Premiere was hooked up with an M-Card (Suddenlink) these channels showed up for a few days and then were suddenly cut off on all tvs.

Odds are you will loose your movie channels. So it might be in your best interest to hold off on the TiVo till they catch the mistake.

10. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    I didn't instigate the transfers, so they are passive too... so no difference... As long as I insert the modifier "passive" before "theft"... well... there's no theft. Seem's like it's OK to steal services from a corporation if they're too big to notice. Thanks for the confirmation to my illustration! ^_^

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Your correct unless the error is just a bad cable box as the OP stated in one of his posts, than if the cable card installer did not go into the cable box he may still get the movie channel just on that one bad cable box.

12. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    The whole premise behind this thread is amusing to me. My wife and I once walked out of target with a gallon of milk under our cart that didn't get rang up. We caught it in the parking lot and they looked at us weird when we came in and paid for it. Sad state of affairs in our world today.

Look at it this way. Your employer decided to pay you for 7 hours of work when you actually worked 8. You don't notice it, so it doesn't matter to you? Doubt it. Something tells me if the shoe was on the other foot you might feel differently.

</soapbox>