Will a TivoHD work for me?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Tintin, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Tintin

Tintin New Member

Oct 4, 2007

Advertisements

I have analog basic cable. I recently discovered I can receive local channels in HD by switching my TV's tuner to digital (I bought my HDTV for HD-DVD). The HD channels are coming in on the cable connection. The channels are numbered using the over the air system: 2.1, 4.2, 5.1 etc. Can I use the TivoHD to record my analog cable and the five HD channels I receive? Can I tell the Tivo I have basic cable and an antenna (selecting the just the channels I receive) to get guide information? It looks possible, but I would like verification before I order the box from Amazon.

Thank you for your help.

2. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    It will work for the analog cable. You will need cablecards to have guide data for the clear QAM channels.

3. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    It will work for the analog cable. You will need cablecards to have guide data for the clear QAM channels.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can manually tune and record those digital channels. To use the guide to record, they need mapped to virtual channel numbers, which only the cablecard can do, at this time.

5. joysmahal

joysmahal New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pacific...

Advertisements

I have basic analog cable that I get through Comcast and I also get the “local” channels in HD through my analog cable (abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, etc. [no fox hd for me]).

I do have a TiVo HD that I just got last weekend and I have an antenna hooked up to it. I pickup my local channels in HD and it records HD just fine. The TiVo even asks during antenna set-up what your zip-code is so that the TiVo can go online to pull up programming schedules for the channels that you are expected to get through the antenna. I have season passes set-up with shows that I am picking up through the antenna and it has automatically recorded just fine. This is a great feature!

6. spiraleyes

spiraleyes Tivo noob

Sep 17, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    It's exactly the same for me. I use an HD antenna and analog cable. The setup was very simple, I didn't have to do anything extra.