Wilfred - Pilot OAD 6/23/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jun 24, 2011.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I loved this show. It was very offbeat and quirky, and I was a little turned off by the premise and the promos. But I heard/read some good reviews from people I respect so I gave it a try, and really enjoyed it. That dog is hilarious. He's going to really be getting Ryan into trouble.

2. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    I found it hilarious. This show is adapted from the Australian series, and the same actor plays Wilfred in both. Wilfred has been described as "part Labrador Retriever and part Russell Crowe on a bender."

3. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I loved this show, which is unfortunate because that means it will be cancelled.

Two specific dog references I picked up on:

Wilfred doing a circle before sitting on the couch.
    Wilfred telling Ryan to put his lipstick away.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't get that...

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I guess you're not a dog owner! If you've ever seen a dog when he gets, er, excited, it looks rather like a lipstick! :eek:

6. dowalker

dowalker Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Spring Hill, FL
    I loved it. Hope it lasts. Telling folks to watch it!

7. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I enjoyed the show too, and caught both references!

8. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It was definitely offbeat, which means ratings will be small. It was different, in a good way. I'm not sure it can sustain itself over the course of 10 episodes or however many there are. The basic joke may get stale but the first episdoe was entertaining.

9. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Definitely caught both of those, plus him running after the motorcycle, nuzzling the waitresses boobs, and many other things that he did simply because he's a dog.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I enjoyed it. I look forward to next week.

11. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    Just watched the pilot. Lots of bits came from the Aussie series 1 (not just episode 1), but this is NOT just a American rereading of the original.

This version often has the feeling that Wilfred is almost entirely a projection of Ryan's desires to break free with tones of dog trying to protect/keep his owner to himself. The original (at least series 1) emphasized the protection/ownership aspect with Wilfred's suggestions (and actions) very calculated to make Ryan seems unacceptable as a boyfriend.

I'll give this a shot for a while. WTF, it's summer!:D

12. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    hmm, missed it and don't see it on hulu or fx.com.... maybe on demand?

13. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    This weeks episode is rerunning on 6/30 at 11:30pm ET.

14. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Let's be real, this is FX we're talking about. It will likely be on at least 47 times before the next episode. I didn'tr ealize it was starting so I'm gonna set it to record... 50/50 on if it's interesting to me or not but seems to be getting a lot of good reviews.

The concept reminds me of Brian on Family Guy. I always found his best scenes to be when he acted like a dog, despite being the smartest, deepest person in the family. I know Wilfred is just a projection from Frodo's mind but it reminded me of that.

15. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    I couldn't hack it. I killed it about halfway through. It pushed too many of my buttons the wrong way.

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Normally I'd agree with you but I can't find the pilot either. And, there only seem to be a couple of repeats for the next episode. Odd behavior for a basic cable channel and a new series.

17. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Actually it did real well it got the highest rating for a series premier comedy on FX.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2011/06/24/new-comedy-wilfred-posts-highest-ever-premiere-ratings-for-a-comedy-series-on-fx-348311/20110624fx01/

I thought it was just ok and very bizarre. I don't like sister though. She seems like Ellie from Chuck.

I've never seen the Australian version though. I just want to know do we ever get to see Wilfred in dog form?

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The jury is out for me, there are a few things they could really do to wow me..
    I get that others see Wilfred as a normal dog, I'd love to occasionally see a shot of that ala Quantum Leap and Sam, it'd be a nice touch.
    I think they missed the boat on the water being in a glass instead of a bowl, had they had him have the decision and then use the bowl I would have been amused, it could have been easily written and then they just cut away and not show him drinking.

19. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    It's better than Louie.

20. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I didn't especially like it, but I'll watch a few more episodes before giving up.