'Wild Cards' - George R.R. Martin TV Series

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Aug 7, 2016.

  1. Aug 7, 2016 #1 of 22
    Malcontent

    Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

    4,519
    550
    Sep 4, 2004

    Advertisements

    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/6/12394024/george-rr-martin-television-wild-cards-superheroes

    Martin won't be involved with the series because of his deals with HBO.

    People who were infected with the alien virus either got superpowers or became deformed or just died horribly. People who got powers were called 'Aces' and those who were deformed were called 'Jokers'. The alien virus was dispersed over New York in the 1940's and spread around the world. It's effects were still felt decades later.

    People who were infected with the virus had a 90% chance of being killed. The remaining 10% were changed into 'Aces' or 'Jokers'.

    'Aces' were treated like celebrities and 'Jokes' usually lived in slums and where treated badly.
     
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. Aug 8, 2016 #2 of 22
    Ereth

    Ereth Unemployed Bum

    45,827
    3,952
    Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Wild Cards is one of my favorite series. I've been reading it for decades. I hope they do it justice!
     
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #3 of 22
    vertigo235

    vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

    19,158
    1,267
    Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    So after this virus, nobody is "normal", you're either a Joker or an Ace?
     
  4. Aug 8, 2016 #4 of 22
    Rob Helmerichs

    Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

    57,015
    13,698
    Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Joker, Ace, or dead. But only if you catch it. Most people don't.
     
  5. Aug 8, 2016 #5 of 22
    vertigo235

    vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

    19,158
    1,267
    Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte

    Advertisements

    Gotcha
     
  6. Aug 8, 2016 #6 of 22
    Ereth

    Ereth Unemployed Bum

    45,827
    3,952
    Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    It's a retrovirus. Think AIDS. If you get it, you are definitely affected. But while it's a huge deal, affecting the population as a whole, most of us won't get it.

    The Wild Card virus isn't spread via sexual contact, so you have a greater chance, but the principle is the same.
     
  7. Aug 8, 2016 #7 of 22
    Philosofy

    Philosofy Super Duper Member

    7,674
    388
    Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    IIRC, the virus infected 10% of the population. Of that 10%, 90% died. Of the ones that survived, 90% were Jokers, and 10% were Aces. So, with a population of 290 million, that means 26,100,000 dead, 2,610,000 Jokers, and 290,000 Aces. I remember one of the Aces was called Popin' Jay. He could teleport himself and anyone he was touching to somewhere he had already been.
     
  8. Aug 8, 2016 #8 of 22
    vertigo235

    vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

    19,158
    1,267
    Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    So if you're infected you basically have a 1% chance of becoming an ACE.
     
  9. Aug 8, 2016 #9 of 22
    photoshopgrl

    photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

    5,476
    1,758
    Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I know nothing about the books but this sounds really intriguing so I'll definitely tune in!
     
  10. Rob Helmerichs

    Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

    57,015
    13,698
    Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The books are a series of (mostly) shared-universe short-story collections (with a few novels sprinkled in). Back in the 80s, the hook was that it was super-hero stories by some of the top science fiction writers of the day, although I think over time the talent pool involved became smaller and more cliquish.
     
  11. spartanstew

    spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

    17,018
    1,671
    Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Sounds sort of like Heroes, but adding deformities too.
     
  12. Hoffer

    Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

    43,050
    2,236
    Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Sounds like a cool concept.
     
  13. vertigo235

    vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

    19,158
    1,267
    Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Has there been any mention on what network it might air on?
     
  14. ClutchBrake

    ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

    16,819
    290
    Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    No, but the company that acquired the rights is part of NBCUniversal, so perhaps something under that umbrella.
     
  15. vertigo235

    vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

    19,158
    1,267
    Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Ok so most likely SyFy
     
  16. Ereth

    Ereth Unemployed Bum

    45,827
    3,952
    Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    The interesting thing about it, to my mind, was that because it was SF writers, it was more grounded. It was, yes, people with powers, but most of them didn't put on costumes and fight crime. They still behaved as people did. Some of them had very attractive results and they monetized that.

    Jokers were shunned. People didn't want to even know they existed. "Pretend you don't notice the deformed man, honey..".

    And it included an entire alternate history, including House Unamerican Activities Committee not being about Communists, but being about Wild Cards.

    Some parts of it are most definitely "not safe for work" and thus "not safe for network television". If it winds up on network, those parts will probably simply be excised.

    But we'll get to see The Great and Powerful Turtle, at least. I can't imagine doing Wild Cards without the Turtle.
     
  17. allan

    allan Just someone TCF Club

    17,039
    1,028
    Oct 13, 2002
    I love the books! :)

    Though, if they have 9X as many jokers as aces, that will make interesting visuals. :eek:
     
  18. HoosierFan

    HoosierFan Board game geek

    916
    21
    May 8, 2001
    North...
    These sound really good! I am going to try and start reading them. Are they appropriate for young teenagers? Sounds like something my boys would like. Ereth's comment makes it sound like they're not.
     
  19. Ereth

    Ereth Unemployed Bum

    45,827
    3,952
    Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    There's overt sexuality in them. Are your kids old enough for that? It's not porn, but it's there, "on-screen" so to speak, not implied and "off-camera". It's not a major part of the books, except perhaps for the sequence for how Jumpers (people who can swap bodies with other people), which is rather extended.

    Of course there's violence, too. And people aren't so much cartoon characters with strong right and wrong values. There's a lot of shades of gray, and there's a lot of people who do horrible things and there's a lot of discrimination, especially against Jokers.

    And even The Great and Powerful Turtle, the most overt clear-cut "Superhero" in the book, swears at people he's dealing with and doesn't have the moral code of a Superman.

    I suppose the thing it's most like is the movie version of "The Watchmen", though that's actually not a very good comparison. I just can't think of anything else comparable. It's real life, which is messy, and has people who hate, and people who kill (including terrorists), but also people who are wonderful and people who love and people in between. And an awful lot of people die.

    The first book... or at least the first portion of the book, the story of "Jetboy" and how the Virus got here, is absolutely fine, the closest to a comic book of the entire series. And probably the most memorable ending of any of them.

    The later books are more of a mix, and certainly darker (90% of the people who got the Virus died, how could it get darker than that? It does. Not because of death, but because of the people who survived, the "villains", who aren't cartoon characters with stupid plans.)

    Oh yeah, there's also drug references, with Captain Trips being the most overt, but I think he's just fine. He's certainly not going to be as big a surprise in 2016 as he was in the 1980s (just say no!). And he's a really great character, your kids will probably love him.

    Does that help, or muddy it worse?
     
  20. HoosierFan

    HoosierFan Board game geek

    916
    21
    May 8, 2001
    North...
    That helps some. They read enough and play the video games, I am not so concerned about violence and darkness. I am still trying to shelter them from the sex a little. I am waiting to get it from the library and will check it out first.
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements