Wil TiVo post 2006 CES news on its Web site?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bierboy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I know Justin posted a thread, but I wanted to see if anyone from TiVo would respond to this. Will TiVo update its Web site with news from CES like last year?

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Like last year, and the year before that, and probably before that, though I don't remember. :) I would damn well expect them too, most of the point about CES is getting as much free press as you can and getting as many people as possible to read your press releases, etc. TiVo would be silly to be participating in the show and not splashing info on their site. :)

3. Rich Peterson

Rich Peterson AVS Press

Jan 7, 2000
    St Paul, MN
    Tivo has had a press conference the first day of the show for many years and this year they had one scheduled, but now I see it has been removed from the schedule. It looks like they cancelled it. I sent an email to the press contact earlier today asking why, but they haven't replied (yet anyway).

4. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That, typically, is not a good sign. I deal in media relations, and, generally when a press conference is cancelled, it can only mean that, whatever was going to be announced will not be for one reason or another. And usually it's for a "bad" reason -- a delay or cancellation. Now, if it's just been postponed to another day/time, then OK. Let us know if you hear...

5. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    I have been to my share of conferences where my company always had a number of announcements. My experience doesn't match yours. Usually the reason for a delay was coordination with some other partner's announcement, or catching wind of a major major announcement and moving it to a better day when it wouldn't get buried.

6. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Justin - good point...I guess it depends on what your company does/manufactures. I'm in a service industry (higher ed), so that would make a difference. Here's hoping you're right, and I'm wrong :p

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 10
    tiggermanh

tiggermanh to be like Earl

Dec 14, 2004
    Dayton Ohio
    Well, Tivo did announce the Tivo3 HD. Wish it wasnt scheduled for a LATE deployment in 2006, but an early one, like Q2.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 10
    TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    I haven't seen any CES announcements from TiVo.

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 10
    hongcho

hongcho .

Nov 26, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    No public announcement, but the Series 3 was on display at the show floor.

We don't know why exactly TiVo did not make a PR. Maybe it's because they don't have a firm schedule or a pricing. I mean without them it's not really new since they announced one last CES.

Hong.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the word I have heard is that TiVo felt they had anounced things already and their real focus was on showing working items that the press could demo and take pictures of and write about.

So they just did not do their usual tradition of a press conference on opening day. So they in effect did not cancel a press conference, just did not make use of a timeslot left open for them by CES.

and really what were they going to say - here is the working model of the prototype we showed last year - doesn't it look so much better - oh and yah it is still 6 - 9 months out with no firm pricing

hopefully the new CEO is trying to not do so much Press Release of future strategies and make the big hoopla Press release actually sync up with the release of the product/feature to the public.

but that is all my speculation. TiVo PR did not put me on the memo list