Wii Messes Up Tivo 30 second skip?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mardunba, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mardunba

mardunba New Member

Aug 18, 2003

Advertisements

Got the kids a Wii for Christmas. We've found that after playing Wii for a while the 30 second skip feature on our vintage DirecTv TIVO (HDVR2, I think) is gone and we must reprogram it.

I've done some searching on this issue on this forum and the web and can't find any similar reports.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Any suggestions to resolve it?

Thanks.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    The Wii sensor bar does put out a constant IR signal. The Wiimotes are a camera with a bluetooth connect back to the console. You might try moving the sensor bar to an alternate position to see if it helps.

3. dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    They don't put out a signal when Wii is turned off/in standby, do they? It's the BT wiimote that wakes/turns on the Wii, not the IR, correct?

4. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    We have a Wii. We haven't seen this happen with either our Series 2 box or our Tivo HD - the 30-second skip works just fine.

Our sensor bar for the Wii is on top of the television (not that it likely matters).

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

Correct. The "sensor bar" doesn't actually do anything. You can replace it with any two sources of IR including two candles.

6. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Same here.

Same here, too.

7. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    No problems with my Wii and DirecTivo.

This seems an odd thing, though, since the 30sec skip requires 6 different keypresses while playing back a recording. I would think it would be difficult for a wiimote to generate those, especially in the right sequence, at the right time (generally you wouldn't be playing a recording if you're playing on the Wii).

-Mike

8. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Is it possible that the TiVo has completely rebooted while you're playing with the Wii? I think that clears the 30-second skip, and it sounds a little more likely than that the Wii sends the exact signals to turn the skip off. Now, why the TiVo would reboot, I have no idea.