WiFi vs MoCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Bill Bartling, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Bill Bartling

Bill Bartling New Member

Jun 2, 2019

Advertisements

I just want to connect to my wireless network. Is that what the Bolt will do? Don't know anything about MoCA and only want one Tivo device.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    MoCA isn't wireless.

Multimedia over Coax Alliance - Wikipedia
    MoCA Frequently Asked Questions

(I had Verizon FiOS in another state for years and it used MoCA (over coax) to go from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to the VZ provided modem/router which had a coax in.

Since the ONT was plugged into my apartment's coax wiring, the ONT also emitted TV signals for my TiVo HD or VZ's set top box which I'd rented for a few days once.)

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    yes. a TiVo Bolt can connect to the internet via your wireless network using WiFi.

You only need a hardwired connection to your network (via Moca, Ethernet, or wireless bridge) if you want to connect your Bolt to a TiVo Mini.

4. Bill Bartling

Bill Bartling New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Than

5. Bill Bartling

Bill Bartling New Member

Jun 2, 2019

Advertisements

Thank you. I know MoCA is different but I just want to use wireless. I have ordered one.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Keep in mind that MoCA tends to be more stable and less prone to interference (and supports a mini)
    I far prefer MoCA, ethernet, or powerline hard connections over wifi for streaming devices.

Dan Cour likes this.
  7. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    If you're already plugging in your devices via coax, then why not just use MoCA? I mean, if your network supports it, why not? My MoCA network has never given me a problem, only when Frontier has an outage. Rule of thumb, whenever possible, always go with a wired solution. Wireless is always nice, yes, I get that, but not always reliable.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The primary stumbling block would be not having an existing MoCA network to which the new BOLT could connect, pretty much never a problem with wireless these days.

That said, whether the BOLT even has built-in MoCA functionality depends on the model the OP chose to purchase, which wasn't clear from my reading of the thread. (i.e. The OTA-only TiVo "BOLT OTA" lacks built-in MoCA connectivity.)