wifi tv?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lunarose, Nov 23, 2011.

1. lunarose

lunarose New Member

Oct 22, 2011

Advertisements

will a new wifi TV be able to access my wireless tivo network?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I would expect both the TV and the TiVo to be accessing your wireless router's wireless network.

How well they can see each other on that network, and what that will or won't make possible depends on what the TiVo is set to allow (which is controlled by TiVo and what they put in the TiVo's software) and on what the television has been designed and enabled to do (which will depend on what the particular manufacturer of that particular model decided to do with that particular model--I'm sure it'll vary from one brand to another).

3. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    My wifi enabled Sony NX810 dosnt see my TiVo and i see no way within my computer to make it do so. My NX see's both my computers and my Epic 4g cell phone..just not my TiVo.

I think perhaps im not underatnding the context of the OP.

Having a TiVo hooked up to ones TV why would it matter if the TV see's the TiVo via wireless network? Using TiVo desktop or one of the other programs ones computer will see the TiVo. You can transfer, burn or store what ever is on the TiVo from there and or send video back to your TiVo.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    If your goal is to stream from your TiVo to your TV, it won't work, because TiVos only use their own protocol for sharing video, not an industry standard like DLNA.

Unless it's one of those new TVs with "TiVo design"? Those might stream from a TiVo, we don't know... apparently no one on the forum has bought one yet. :/

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

Although perhaps streaming from a TiVo DVR is in the cards for TiVo Design TVs at some point in the future, I'm pretty sure if it were already available it would be a big part of the sales pitch for those TVs, and TiVo would already have bombarded all of us with emails pitching them.