1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wifi help for OTA Romaio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tramd, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tramd

tramd New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I recently purchased a Romaio OTA. I have a outdoor antenna with a dedicated coax connected to the Romaio and my internet is from a T-Mobile Broadband 4G LTE Wifi hotspot. The Romaio connects with no problems to the wifi and works perfectly for streaming services and downloading the program directory. Then I purchased a Mini for the upstairs along with the Tivo MOCA device. I have a dedicated RG6 cable from the Romaio to the MIni. I connected the MOCA to the Romaio with the ethernet cable supplied and to the RG6. The Mini is connected to the other end of the RG6. Of course I found with the ethernet cable connected I lose the wifi connection. The hotspot has no external ports for any kind of connections. I live in the country and have no access to cable or any other type of internet. Is there a way to make this work? Are there routers available to receive the wifi and convert it to ethernet? Any help would be appreciated.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What is the brand & model # for your Wi-Fi hotspot device? Do you know if T-Mobile offers any similar device that includes Ethernet ports (that would allow wired network connections in-home)?

Short of another hotspot device, you'd want to find a wireless bridge device with sufficient bandwidth/reliability to make the wireless client connection to the hotspot and provide wired Ethernet connectivity for the Roamio and the TiVo Bridge MoCA adapter.

You'd be looking to do something similar to the attached diagram, but without the diplexer and splitter complexity owing to the dedicated antenna and Mini runs in your setup.

JudySue WIP alt w diplexers.png

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Simplified diagram (though a hotspot w/ Ethernet ports would be preferred)...

tramd hotspot MoCA.png

Ideally the hotspot would be in the same room as the wireless bridge, to ensure the best possible wireless connection.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI...

NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem with Two Gigabit Ethernet Ports

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

A: Note also that T-Mobile LTE supports bands 2, 4, and 12. So this devices covers all of T-Mobile's LTE bands...

Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

A: This device has a single ethernet port. The number of devices you can connect is really only limited by the number of ports available on the router you connect to it ...

5. tramd

tramd New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    It is a ZTE model MF915. I'll check with T-mobile and /or look into your suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It seems like the Netgear device linked above would allow you to use whatever router you wished for your home network, simplifying the TiVo setup and improving your Wi-Fi coverage.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018