WiFi and TiVo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Slider10, May 4, 2008.

1. May 4, 2008 #1 of 15
    Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm going to set up my TiVo HD this week and I'm trying to get some clarification on a few things. Sorry for my n00b-ish questions:

1. I have Netgear WG111 wifi dongles for my series 2's. Can I use these with the TiVo HD or do I have to buy TiVo's adaptor?

2. While I'm waiting for my cablecards to come, can I record SD content and have the TiVo upconvert to 720,180, etc?

3. Do you guys thing it's better to get a weaknees upgrade or the My DVR Expander? A 500gb drive is $229 from weaknees and the same capacity DVR Expander is $199 from Best Buy. I haven't seen an overall consensus as to which one is the better way to go.

Thanks!

2. May 4, 2008 #2 of 15
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo has stated that only the TiVo adapter is supported on the TiVo HD. Yu can try the other ones first since you have them but they likely wont work and even if they did they likely will have considerably less speed than the TiVo adapter which was built from the ground up to work with a TiVo DVR.

yes - you can hook the cable straight to the TiVoHD and record all the analog you want.

IF it was me I would go with the internal drive first, though I did get the DVR expander as a present from family and it has worked flawlessly for me on my TiVo HD

3. May 4, 2008 #3 of 15
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Nope, won't work. Only the TiVo adapter will work.

Yes, as long as by 'SD Content' you're referring to analog cable.

The HD won't take inputs from your cable box....

I would upgrade the internal hard drive, only because I would like the ability to upgrade easily later.

It really depends on how comfortable you feel in ripping open your brand new TiVo.

But if you go with replacing your internal drive, go bigger than 500 gig. Also be prepared to have to 'hack' your TiVo to add an external later.

4. May 4, 2008 #4 of 15
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    While some other WiFi adapters will work with Series 2, ONLY the TiVo adapter will work with the Series 3. WiFi adapter manufacturers are known for tweaking the adapters just enough to require new drivers, but not bothering to change the model number, so they are a support nightmare for products like TiVo where the user can't just load the driver that comes with the adapter. That is assuming that a Linux driver is even available for the adapter. Furthermore, the TiVo adapter has firmware to offload a lot of computation from the TiVo CPU, particularly related to encryption. This is why, on the Series 2, you cannot use WPA encryption for any but the TiVo adapter.

5. May 4, 2008 #5 of 15
    Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

To clarify, third party wireless adapters work fine in the Series 3. The TiVo HD requires the TiVo branded adapter.

6. May 4, 2008 #6 of 15
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    SOME third party adapters, including some versions of the same adapters, work with the Series 3.

Al

7. May 5, 2008 #7 of 15
    brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I also think upgrading the internal drive would be your best bet. I saw a 1TB WD drive on sale this past week for $190. It takes about 20 minutes to do the upgrade and you really don't need to know much about computers to be able to do it. Plus if 1TB is not enough then you can always add an eSata drive to that to give you even more space.

8. May 5, 2008 #8 of 15
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    My preference is to put an extra hard drive on my PC and offload programs that way. The benefit is that it's in my basement instead of my entertainment center which is less noise, space and clutter, and I don't have to open my case and void my warranty. It also makes further expansion independent of the TiVo.

Of course the down side is the need to move recordings on and off of your TiVo and there are some things that won't move (unbox). Also, my wireless is fast enough to view SD content live but HD needs a good head start.

9. May 6, 2008 #9 of 15
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    +1 to what everyone here has said.

Having just switched from a Series2 to a TivoHD + MyDVR Expander, I'll add the following:

1. You definitely need the Tivo-brand adapter: if you try to use a third party adapter then you'll just get a message during guided setup that says "This adapter is not supported" - you can only proceed by using the Tivo-brand adapter, or by telling it you will call in by phone for updates. Guided setup won't let you even try your unsupported adapter, to see if it works.

2. One benefit to installing an internal drive, rather than going the MyDVR Expander route, is that if you get the external drive then your Tivo has twice as many hard drives. In my experience, most Tivo failures are hard-drive related. Get the expander and you've doubled your chances of eventually having a hard-drive failure. In the alternative, if you swap out your HD for a larger internal HD, then you have one installed HD, and an emergency backup (the original uninstalled HD) should the new large one eventually fail. Having said that, I didn't take my own advice and I've been very happy thus far with the MyDVR Expander - setting it up was painless and quick.

10. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone for the info. I've decided I'll go for a new internal drive when the time comes to upgrade. I'm going to give it a try with the stock space for a while and see how well I can manage it.

As for the wi-fi adaptor, I bought one today from Amazon for $40, which is $20 less than from tivo.com. Unfortunately they shipped it out USPS and I won't get it for 4 days **after** my cablecard installation. I figure I'll set it up the night before via ethernet and coax, and then just have the cablecards put in the next day. I'll just run a few days without guide data until the adaptor arrives. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a lapse in connections.

I'm thinking of using the MFSTools to make a new TiVo HD harddrive since it looks pretty simple now that it's a straight Windows GUI app. We'll see.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    make sure you get an OS upgrade before doing the cable card install. The OS on the TiVo HD may not have all the cable card fixes that have been sent out.

And if you setup via ethernet then you should have the guide data as well. In short I would set it up as soon as you can.

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I agree - I believe Tivo recommends you leave at least two days leeway, to make sure you get latest service updates uploaded prior to the cablecard install. When I got my TivoHD, it came out of the box with 8.1. I forced an update and it downloaded and installed 9.1. It wasn't until about 2 days later that I finally got it to download a further update to 9.3.

13. Majik45

Majik45 New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    How do you get the Tivo to force an upgrade of the software? I got my new HD Tivo on Monday, and it's been running fine. I have the cable guys coming with Cards on Saturday.

14. weaknees

weaknees Active Member

May 11, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Just force some dial-ins (better yet, connections via broadband) and it should download and install the update. If you see the status as "pending restart" then pull the plug, let it reboot, and you'll have the latest software.

It's definitely good to have the latest OS and the TiVo fully set up before the cable guy arrives!

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it might have gotten the updates and rebooted itself at 2am to install the updates.

look in settings - system info to see what version number you have