WiFi adaptor cause of Tivo HD crashes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by AlanBDahl, Jan 1, 2015.

1. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004

Advertisements

I have two TiVo HDs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. For several months I’ve had issues with the living room TiVo crashing from time to time. My wife finally got tired of it so I swapped the two boxes but not the cables or WiFi adaptors (TiVo brand wireless G adaptors). Now the first TiVo is just fine but the formerly good one crashed when I unplugged it’s Wifi adaptor to reset it. This has gotten me thinking that the Wifi adaptor in the living room could be the source of the unexpected crashing? Or is this just one of those weird coincendences where there are many crash causes and I just ran across a new one?

Another possibility is that the issue could be heat-related, the living room TiVo sits in a media rack with a VCR, amplifier (which has been acting up too) and Blu-ray player. Or I suppose it could be a dust issue, I have an SD TiVo that acted up because the dust inside got too thick and started creating short-curcuits.

2. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I don't suppose you have an external drive attached? One of ours was and worked fine for over a year, then our tivo started crashing (green screen of death) and it took some amount of troubleshooting to figure out it was the drive (since it had been working perfectly).

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What that dust probably short circuited was the TiVo's ability to cool itself, rather than an actual electrical short.

But like the rest of the S2s and S3s, strange symptoms mean you should check the DC outputs of the power supply to make sure that it's not slowly getting flaky because of faulty capacitors.

Fortunately it's an easy and inexpensive repair to replace the suspect caps.

4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Since the incident I noted neither HD has acted up. Strange as the first one was crashing 1-2 times a day and now it’s gone a week with no issues. I guess at this point all I can do is keep an eye on them and perhaps try the vacuum trick to see if that helps keep it cooler as you suggested.

I assume there is a thread here on checking the caps as you mentioned? I might as well do that too when I have the cover off.

Thank you,

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

You can also check Big Lots, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., for stick-on rubber-plastic feet that are taller than the TiVo feet and put one on the bottom of the chassis near each of the current feet, for a total of 4 (make sure all are on the same "level"), and this will get the TiVo slightly higher in the air, providing more room underneath where the fan pulls air from, so easier air flow of air that's not quite as heated up by the TiVo above it means a cooler running TiVo.