Wife wants TV in Sunroom - Is Mini the way to go?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Reeltripp, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Reeltripp

Reeltripp Electrical Engineer

Dec 29, 2013

Advertisements

We have a Roamio that is hard wired to router. The sunroom has power and wifi but no cable or internet connection. It sounds like a new TV and a Mini with a Wifi 5 adapter would work. Am I headed in right direction or is there a better way? I appreciate any thoughts.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Might work, might not. WiFi on Minis is always hit or miss, you'd be better off running either cable or ethernet to the room. You could also try powerline in a pinch, some have had success with it (I didn't).

More specifically, it could work well at some times and not others because Tivo's net code has always been bad.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If your router is decent it should be ok. My Mini VOX is a floor above my router. The wifi 5 comes with a short USB cable, but a longer one will give you more flexibility in placement. My signal runs about 80%. There are wireless extenders much more powerful should you need the boost, plus most have extra ports in case you would get smart TV.

What model is your router?

4. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    The Mini Vox units, with the TiVo Wi-Fi adapter, work fine for me in that situation. You have to set it up originally on the wire, but once you set it up and update the software to latest revision you can then switch to Wi-Fi and go from there. I'm happy with it as a solution for my use case (guest bedroom). I'd prefer to have a wired solution in place but it is not convenient in my case and getting the TiVo Wi-Fi adapter with the Mini Vox wasn't too spendy.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Someone else can check me, but one caveat Re: the newish TiVo WiFi 5 USB Adapter is that it's only supported on a A95 Mini (VOX or LUX), and only if the Mini is running TE4/Hydra.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  7. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    You could try a NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX3700. I've used these for various situations where an Ethernet connection is required using WiFi.

Reeltripp likes this.
  8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If you have a 6 tuner Roamio you could stream to a mobile device like a tablet or a phone.

9. Reeltripp

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. It looks like a Mini is the way to go but how to connect to WiFi is the issue. The Tivo USB Wifi adapter is a possibility but I'm looking at a Netgear Range Extender EX6700 for $50. Same price but gives me more features. I already have a couple of these that work great. One that is dedicated to a Rainbird irrigation controller, but that's another story. I could connect the Mini to the RJ45 port and let the smart TV connect via Wifi.

10. Reeltripp

Dec 29, 2013
    Netgear Nighthawk AC2350 - 2015 so might be too old.