Wi-fi on 2-Tuner Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DevdogAZ, Feb 12, 2017.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I just switched internet providers and now the location of my router isn't anywhere near the entertainment center. I figured I could just plug in the old D-Link wireless adapter that I used to use with my S2, but when I do that, the Premiere doesn't seem to recognize it. Also, the adapter doesn't seem to be getting any power from the TiVo's USB ports. Is there something I need to do in order to activate the USB ports?

If I can't get this issue fixed and/or the USB ports on my Premiere are dead, does anyone have any good suggestions for how I can get a signal to the TiVo when the router is a couple rooms away?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Premiere doesn't know about USB media bridges. I have used a TiVo wireless N adapter. There are many choices, but the TiVo unit on eBay may be the cheapest. You will have to configure it on a PC.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't have a Premiere, but the first question I had was whether the box's USB ports can be used for a general wireless adapter; or if they only will work with TiVo's own wireless adapters.

If the latter is the case, you could purchase a TiVo wireless adapter; or, in the alternative, use a wireless bridge connected to the Premiere's Ethernet port.

4. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Or Powerline with the Premiere's Ethernet port.

Scott

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Good mention of a further alternative.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
  9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just remembered I have an old set of powerline adapters gathering dust. I'll see if I can get that to work before spending money on a wireless adapter or bridge.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Tried to hook up my powerline adapter over the weekend but it must be dead because I couldn't even get the right lights to turn on when I plugged it in, even before trying to get the signal from the one unit to the other.

So I guess I need to buy one of those travel routers. Do I just need to make sure that what I buy has an option for bridge mode? Is that the proper term for a router that's just connecting to an existing wifi network and then distributing that signal out over the ethernet ports?

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That sounds like overkill. Checkout the auction forum: eBay Auction Central

The TiVo wireless N was made for the Premiere. Not the wireless G.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I did a search in there for "wireless" and "adapter" and didn't see any recent posts trying to sell one. And if I can get one of those travel routers as mentioned above for less than $30 and it will also include extra ports for connecting other devices as well, that's going to be more versatile than the TiVo-N adapter.

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Do you have an old router you no longer use that you can turn into a wireless bridge?

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
  15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought I did but I looked through all the boxes in the garage and couldn't find it.