Why TivoHD can not continue playing video when browsing menu?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lmsyl, Aug 30, 2007.

1. lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

Aug 30, 2007

Advertisements

I just switched from Comcast PVR to TivoHD. I missed the video window when doing whatever else. For example, in LIVE broadcast I missed part of it during browsing the TIVO MENU. :thumbsdown:

I also missed the ability to switch between two recordings with one key press. Why do I need this? During football season, I can set up two recordings and switch between them with one key (previous key). :mad:

So I think TIVO has something to improve to compete with Cable PVRs.

2. techie714

techie714 New Member

Aug 19, 2007

I completely agree with you on this statement. I used to love watching a program while using the menu system to choose something that was already recorded.

3. mwwilliams10

mwwilliams10 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Here, here - I'm with you both.

4. ScottUrman

ScottUrman Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    And I'm with neither of you - that's the last thing I would want. :)

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

Advertisements

Tivo HD has 2 tuners. Tune to one game on each tuner and switch between them with the Live TV button. No need to set up recordings and 1-button switching

6. lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    But you need to PAUSE first before switch. No one key solution, right? I do not want to miss any snap of those two games. :eek:

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You better press Record for both of them, or else Tivo could start a Suggestion recording while you're getting a beer. :)

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    If you pause each buffer before switching, how are you going to miss any snaps?

Personally, I don't switch back and forth play-by-play. I'll watch 5-10 minutes of one, and then 5-10 minutes of the other before switching back.

9. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    You DO need to press pause - I forgot about that. I myself do not need to worry about suggestions - I have them turned off, but in any event, if TiVo is about to start a recording it asks you if it's OK. You can always cancel the recording.

I very seldom set up a recording in these cases. Usually when I am watching two games, I switch to two different games during halftime. Having them set up as recordings complicates this.

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Not if you're in the bathroom for two minutes when it asks. It will switch if there is no response.