Why Tivo needs to get its head back in the game, now with their new "Edge"

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by Joe3, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Sep 7, 2019 #1 of 43
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA

Advertisements

The innovative one stop search that TiVo always publicly promised that they were going to do for years is now being done better by someone else. Here comes the competition with a Tivo killer feature. TiVo so far has been promising, but never delivered as promised. The results, they may have lost their edge and their future at the same time.

See link.

Next time you pick a movie, ask Google for help
    Next time you pick a movie, ask Google for help

2. Sep 7, 2019 #2 of 43
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    It's only a killer feature if you care about it. Me, meh.

3. Sep 7, 2019 #3 of 43
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    You can assume TiVo customers care about what they bought or thought they bought.

4. Sep 7, 2019 #4 of 43
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Search engine wasn’t a consideration in my purchase. And I learned long ago that you can’t assume anything.

jrtroo, NorthAlabama, V7Goose and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 7, 2019 #5 of 43
    SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs

Advertisements

I have zero interest in this feature.

As long as TiVo continues to record tv reliably that’s all I care about. I know what content I want to watch on Amazon, on Netflix, and soon on Disney+, I have multiple ways to watch any of them, but 99% of the time use the apps on my TV.

OneCrazyDJ, mickrussom and dianebrat like this.
  6. Sep 7, 2019 #6 of 43
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Yes, you have a number of devices that do this for far less cost than what you would pay for a TiVo.

7. Sep 7, 2019 #7 of 43
    SullyND

SullyND W: 31-17 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Do what? My TV was several magnitudes the cost of my TiVo. Only my TiVo records. I have zero interest in universal search. I don’t ever search for content.

compnurd likes this.
  8. Sep 7, 2019 #8 of 43
    Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Ditto. Kind of silly to spend time on (virtually) useless features...

jrtroo and compnurd like this.
  9. Sep 7, 2019 #9 of 43
    johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    My TiVo does exactly what I want it to do. Record several programs at once, if need be.....let's me play all my favorite music, YouTube included.....let's me stream Netflix and Amazon prime or others.....let's me watch when I want and what I want ota....and all without the 9 easy steps in your suggestion!

jrtroo likes this.
  10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    One search has worked great on TiVo for years. Well, it did until the listing data went into the crapper, anyway. The story you referenced is more like a suggestion feature. No thanks, I don't need Google telling me what to watch.

Not to say that there's not still plenty of room for Tivo to improve. But I'd rather see user profiles and tracking for watched episodes in series.

sd2528 and jrtroo like this.
  11. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    I think TiVo going down the path of profiles and tracking would Not be the way to go and it brings up privacy concerns with how far they would go with the information they are collecting. A way to drill deeper if wanted or needed into show information that already exists on the internet and present it simply and cleanly is in TiVo's sphere of operations and particular area of interest.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    In YOUR opinion, but I knew the minute I saw the thread started it was going to be infected with a negative baseline.
    On the other hand I agree with profiles and certainly series watched episode globally noted by others, what you think is "the killer app" others don't share.

CloudAtlas and jrtroo like this.
  13. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Less than zero interest. It would play no part in my decision to keep/buy TIVO. Along the lines of not caring much about a Smart TV. I want the TV to have a great picture with features that directly relate to that along with enough inputs etc. I want my DVR/OTA receiver to do just that, record OTA, have a good tuner, be reliable.

jrtroo and osu1991 like this.
  14. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    With all due respect to the OP, this 'killer' Google feature is overrated. Fanhattan/FanTV and Yidio cast a much wider net with more listed streamers, & without the privacy issues Google baggages.

Also, I feel honing media to one's comfort habits is self-limiting: Some of the best discoveries I made were purposely going against my conventional tastes. But, as always, one's mileage may vary widely.

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The most important features to me are:

1) Effective, controllable, FF/REW/Back-x-Secs/FW-x-Secs through content I'm watching. Almost nobody other than TiVo seems to know how to do this.
    2) Tracking (and recording when necessary, of course) what I've watched and what's left to watch on TV series. This only works well on broadcast/non-streaming cable on TiVo. The stream app integration for this is well-intentioned but useless/terrible, and considering the sad state of the third-party apps and how they're just not integrated into the experience, it's not even a pleasant experience when it does work.

I no longer use a single interface. TiVo's is unworkable for the third-party apps, having bad apps or old versions, or just terribly slow while using their UI. So I use TiVo for Live TV and standard cable/broadcast season passes. I'd been using Fire TV for those, but decided to switch back to Roku for a while, as I was rather annoyed with the crappy over-integration of Amazon Prime videos everywhere in the interface. Either integrate everything or nothing. And I just don't see that changing. The third parties all want to control their UI. For some reason they think it helps their bottom line when I am already subscribing and just need to organize their content and track what I haven't watched. Netflix seems to manage to track properly. Hulu and Amazon are unreliable enough, especially season-to-season that I never trust them and refer to yet more third-party tracking.

I rely most, oddly enough, on trakt.tv, to track everything, since nobody can do it among the apps well or fully. So I have to manually keep it updated, well, except for all the content I watch through Plex, since it can update trakt.tv automatically.

Truth is I'm at a precipice here where I think I should be considering streaming-only options, but still feel connected to the live tv and recording concept, perhaps unnecessarily. If I could just get that as an option on a per-day basis, it'd be a very easy thing to switch now, but I still feel compelled to protect the option. :)

slowbiscuit and heyadam like this.
  16. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Do you think TiVo should drop collections of content from multiple video streaming providers?

So,... It doesn't look like you think TiVo should aggregate, along with OTA or cable, multiple subscription-based video streaming providers and allow its users to view that content from a single interface. Am I reading you right??

Please, help the OP out.
    Thanks

17. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I like the old Tivo search. When you could pick a category to record, like Halloween or Christmas and it would record them all.

This was before the One Pass search that has never worked any good.

Joe3 likes this.
  18. JackMcC

JackMcC Active Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Yeah, not really going to help me unless my Redbox history is part of the search....which NO device currently includes nor would I want it to anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That’s not so much the one pass aspect but the fact that searches and wishlists both have very limited data to search. More data fields and show types are needed as well as channel ranges and more.

20. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    The best search device is still your computer and a real keyboard.

tampa8, longrider and TishTash like this.