Why TE4 software?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by duhmel, Nov 16, 2020.

1. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005

Advertisements

I have been using a Series 3HD for many, many years and have been quite happy. However I couldn't get rid of spurious freezes and resets by replacing the hard drive and power supply so now have a Roamio with TE4. I dislike the new menu navigation as with my previous Tivo I hit the Tivo button and I am in my shows. Now I have to navigate to it and I can't get rid of the clip that plays in the right corner. Worse yet I understand I cannot download from my PC anymore using pyTivo.

Unless I am missing something, this TE4 'improvement' is just lots of irrelevant information that I don't need while eliminating what I want. Is there a way to roll back the TE4 to TE3 so that I can use pyTivo and navigate easily between the Tivo menus?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio can still run TE3 or v20.7.4 and not v21.x. You would need to roll back to it but that also means you would lose everything you already got on it.
    Under TE4, you can still download unprotected shows to the computer, just that you cannot do that the other direction (get shows off the computer to the Tivo.) They removed that feature but added others like voice commands.

3. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    I have 21.10.2v3. I was very happy with navigating around on my Series 3HD. The number one use for this unit is to download stuff from my PC. I don't what any of the extraneous suggestions that I am being fed. I just set up the Roamio so there is nothing to lose. Where can I find the directions to downgrade the software. Is there any danger to the unit in doing this?

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I failed to find that thread here but there is one somewhere. Its only risk is your shows, passes, cable card etc. nothing hardware related.

I am still running TE3/v20.7.4 on Roamio Basic. Never even tried out TE4 as I do not know back then what it was like. Now, I see more who hate it, the features lost, others gained and didn't like it either.

5. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005

Advertisements

I found it here

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

A bit overwhelming - 31 pages of posts for a three line set of instructions

1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
    2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
    3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

6. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Took about 15 minutes to do the 3 steps above and then have to repeat the guided setup. I don't understand why tech companies decide to 'upgrade' software or websites that serve users well. At least Tivo provides an offramp to return to the previous version.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You lose everything just like Clear & Delete Everything.