Why stay with Tivo at this point?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivochiguy, Oct 19, 2020.

1. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004

Advertisements

My Roamio Pro drive is dead and I can exchange it for a Edge for $250. It will transfer my lifetime over with it. I'm trying to decide if I stay with Tivo at this point. I've used Tivo since the Series 1, but I'm not excited about the new interface. Tried it previously and hated it. With my condo association's Comcast agreement I receive a free DVR box. We have two TVs so I would need to spend $10 a month for a 2nd box based on our agreement. The X1 box would be cloud based content and I think I would miss having locally stored content that I can quickly move through. I miss on-demand programming and I would get that back with Xfinity. Not sure what to do and if I should stay with Tivo or not. My cable is already included in my association dues. Any reasons to stay with Tivo at this point?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why not just do what countless others have and replace the drive for under $100 yourself and carry on?
    You get to keep it on TE3 vs an Edge where you're forced to TE4

3. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Definitely open to it. I know that Weaknees can provide a hard drive with Tivo OS on it. If I buy my own drive, how does the Tivo OS get on the box?

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Roamio and later models will format a 3TB drive on their own, open Tivo, replace drive, boot up Tivo.
    You may want to review the upgrade threads for the current preferred drives.

5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Definitely don't spend the money on a Weaknees drive. As db said above, the units will automatically install the OS when it detects a new drive. It really couldn't be easier.

unclehonkey and Noelmel like this.
  6. tivochiguy

tivochiguy Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Thank you so much. I wasn't aware of that capability.

Noelmel likes this.
  7. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Not sure why the concern over TE4. I read all the negative comments, had me co concerned. But when I got my Bolt I switched and honestly not sure why people post negative comments. I have no issue with it. Don't feel I'm missing anything. It's not laggy.

As for why you should stay. Go ahead, try out a Comcast box. If you think TE4 sucks, wait until you use a Comcast box. The UI just sucks. Very laggy, can't even time stopping the fast forward because it sucks so bad. Hope you don't mind giving up the SKIP feature, but then get ready to be frustrated with how much time you spend trying to FF through a set of commercials. Then, backward and forward until you get just about there and finally just give in and settle for wherever it stopped.

You think TiVo has limited streaming apps, look at what you get with Comcast, nada.

Go ahead, try Comcast DVR and then you'll see what you are missing. Or if UI, SKIP and laggy isn't important you may just like it.

I've been down the Comcast path, made writing the check for TiVo equipment a no brainer. When TiVo goes belly up I'll look at other options but not jumping ship now as long as the TiVo service is still operating.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you update to Bolt or Edge, the transfer of the Lifetime (All-in) service cost $199, otherwise the additional All-in cost $549, without the transfer.
    Bolts don't seem to last as long as its older predecessors. The laptop drives within doesn't last so long. Size is also limiting as laptop drives doesn't come as big as 4-5TB.

With Roamio, it can self-format up to 3TB and up to 8TB (or more) by connecting to a Windows PC and running MSFR. PC work time: about 5 Min.

Recommended drives is the WD Red Plus, model numbers ending in EFRX, purple (PURX, PURZ). Avoid EFAX.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    The decision to stay is easy for me. One, my TiVo is lifetime. Two, at the moment, our cost of cable (given the shows we watch) is a little cheaper than the cost of plain internet+youtube.tv+frdnlyTV (to get hallmark channels). If the HD were to die, easy replacement. If something more drastic were to occur, such as CC support being pulled, then it's a far more easy decision.

Noelmel likes this.
  10. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    If you decide to stick with TiVo, you should be using a third-party media streaming device such as Roku for on-demand content. The Roku will even support the Xfinity Stream app in addition to many, many more apps that are not in the X1 closed system.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's even easier to me...lifetime Roamio, "free" cable (it's included in my building's association dues), and I LOVE TiVo.

There's a building-wide Xfinity conversion coming up the details of which I don't know, which is supposed to transition everybody to the X1 platform. It's unclear if this will involve a physical change in the infrastructure which would make my TiVo no longer work; I'm hoping not, and that they will allow me to keep my cablecards. If not, I don't know what I'll do...I've had enough experience with Comcast DVRs at my Dad's place over the years to know I want no part of it.

jlb and Noelmel like this.
  12. Bruce24

Bruce24 Active Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    I have a pair of Tivo Bolts as well as a pair of Comcast X1 Boxes and it seems to be you have not tried a Comcast box in quite some time. A while back Comcast added it's own version of Skip Mode, which it calls Smart Resume.

They have quite a few apps including the big ones Netflix, Prime and Hulu...and actually add new apps.

IMO the X1 box doesn't suck and has some advantages such as getting On-demand content and more accurate guide data.

I still prefer to use the Tivo for playback....I use QuickMode when playing back some shows, Comcast does not have an alternative to QuickMode...but I doubt I will ever buy another Tivo unless they start making improvements in the product.

13. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I keep using TiVo boxes because they do what I want and are reliable for my needs. FiOS prices may get jacked up to a point that I just can't justify paying for it, but for now that isn't the case. The TiVo boxes (2 Edges with All-in service, plus the Mini's that I have with them; as well as a Bolt that I'm using over-the-air, and a Roamio that could be used for same; and a Roamio for my daughter as well) handle the needs in the house. When/if any of them dies I would carefully consider my options and either buy a replacement (if it makes sense) or slowly but surely switch to other options.

I have a variety of streaming services that I can consume from but much of my watching and my wife's watching (and my daughters) comes from a handful of channels that we each get from cable. Other content, from places like AppleTV+, Disney+, etc., is bonus content to us, not content we depend on all the time. Some of those (such as Netflix) are cost covered from our cellular service (T-Mobile) or from the FiOS service that I'm already paying for, so it isn't costing me much, if any more than my regular monthly FiOS fees and cellphone fees.

I wish the TiVo boxes would do "On Demand" content from FiOS, but I've lived without that for so long it doesn't bother me at this point.

14. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    TiVo the company, maybe not, but your current TiVo box absolutely yes. IMHO the Roamio Pro was the last great TiVo DVR. TiVo the brand is now twice-removed from the company that designed your Roamio.

Technical design, quality, customer support — heck even respect for customers — have all gone way downhill. Read up on the Edge. But as long as you can keep your Roamio Pro running on TE3 you'll be well-insulated from most of that, and in addition you'll avoid the often non-trivial irritations and compromises in switching to a different interface with different features like X1 or even TE4.

Popping in a new hard drive will give your Roamio a new lease on life, and then in a number of years when it's time to change maybe you'll have better options. If you want better streaming we've got lots of suggestions, like Fire TV sticks. If you want to DIY a DVR we've got suggestions for that too. But if you just want to enjoy your TV shows, stick with the Roamio Pro.

15. ocdave

ocdave New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    This. I'm on Cox in southern California, and TiVo has screwed up the guide data so bad lately - like deleting all channels and taking days/weeks to resolve. I've had a TiVo since the Series 2, but when this TiVo dies or Cox throws in the Cable Card towel, I'll be moving to a Cox DVR for the guide data alone.

16. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I'm staying since part of my cable bill/contract is through my apartment rental agreement so I dropped I'd still be paying. I looked at going with my cable company's stuff and the only thing they offer at the moment is a 2 tuner DVR with no whole home neither of which would work

17. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...
    If I could transfer my Roamio Pro to an Edge and keep my lifetime all for $250, I'd do it in a heartbeat... how did you get that sweet, sweet deal?

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Since you have two TVs just replace the drive on the Tivo and use that on one TV and use the X1 box on the other TV.

19. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It has to do with the new continual care policy. From year 2 to 5 if a Tivo fails they will replace it with an Edge (because Edge is all they have left, no Bolts or Roamios). Cost depends on age of the failed device. From year 4-5 the cost is $249 (plus tax and shipping both ways). For newer cost is less. Device must have been purchased new. Over 5 years, well there is no continual care but who knows what they might offer. This is for failed devices, so if yours is working fine probably no deal (plus I'm pretty sure you would have to have the original drive in there).

20. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I got the latest X1 cloud box. It's a solid platform with an easy hack to make the page up be a 30 sec skip. The guide data is better compared to TiVo. Even though I have it and we used it, we keep going back to the TiVo because of the remote. Our TV also has the Xfinity Stream app on it, so all of the on-demand is there. We'll go to the x1 eventually because of the CC demise, but will hold on to that sweet remote for now.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk