Why so long?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jimcarver, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jimcarver

jimcarver Member

Dec 25, 2004

Advertisements

After purchasing a new Roamio Plus and adding a MoCA adapter to my old Premiere I am finally able to transfer and stream shows between boxes and to my phone and iPad without too many problems. This was not the case with wireless as it is apparently too slow for reliable transfers and streaming even though TiVo continually touted these features.
    Why has it taken so long for MoCA to be added to TiVo boxes and cable? I wasn't aware of MoCA until I got the Roamio but I think it's been around for awhile. Does it just take time for providers to catch up or did it just take some time for MoCA to be tested? Just wondering. :confused: So far I think it's great.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It took new hardware. Moca first became available during the premiere line, just not with the first generation. So, it has been out there for several years through a premiere, and was available through your own adaptors for years prior to that.

3. jimcarver

jimcarver Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Yes, I assumed that was the case but it seems to have been a well kept secret that TiVo never suggested. (as far as I know.) Thanks for the info.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I had MoCA on my Premiere Elite over three years ago. I started using it with MoCA adapters in other rooms (to connect old two-tuner Premieres and other devices) not long after I got it.

Now the Premiere Elite is my oldest TiVo unit, since I have replaced everything else with Minis and got a Roamio Pro as the main living room box. The Elite has been relegated to the bedroom, since it is now the slowest and has the least streaming options.

My only complaint is that the Minis don't act as a MoCA bridge, so I still have a couple MoCA adapters in use for things like Blu-Ray players and such.

5. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...

Advertisements

At least since the introduction of the Mini, TiVo's recommended interconnection medium has been MOCA (which is why the Mini doesn't support wireless). I don't think TiVo ever recommended wireless for streaming or transfers, only for Internet connection (for guide download purposes).

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I think xfers were working for a long time with wireless, even on the Series 2 , was slow but it worked, streaming would only work sometimes with the TP and Roamio using wireless, MoCA is much better for that.