Why shouldn't I switch?????

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by y2khardtop, Oct 5, 2006.

1. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

OK, I need a second HD DVR. I apologize if this question is off limits.

I want to put a second DVR on my other HD room ( currently have a non DVR unit). I was going to get a used (or new if I can find on) HR10-250, and put a 750gb drive in, as I have with my current unit. However, for about the same money, I can get a new HR20-700 from DirecTV, and it sounds like upgrading the hard drive is much easier (just drop it in).

I know the HR20 doesn't have the dual buffers, but for this particular room (dedicated Home Theater) I won't be watching live TV. I just want something to record movies, and use as an HD "jukebox".

I get OTA HD, so MPG4 isn't currently a big deal for me, but will it be in the future???????

Thanks for any insight

2. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    HR20-700 doesn't use your OTA as of yet. It's there but disabled for the moment.

Can you actually upgrade the HR20-700's hard drives? I'm probably mistaken but don't remember anyone saying anything about that.

3. alaskahill

alaskahill New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    If you are considering the HR20, you may want ot check to see what deal you can get from Directv retention. There have been reports in this forum of getting it for $99 or less w/o having to return your HR10.

4. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo Damaged Goods TCF Club

Sep 29, 2003
    Southern NH.
    Actually you don't even have to open up the box for an upgrade now. eSata has been enabled (unofficially) with the latest software upgrade. It replaces the internal drive (can't run both right now) so just plug in a big external eSata drive, reboot, set up your recordings (it won't carry over your settings for your internal drive) and go!

5. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

there is a thread on one of the other forums about swapping drives. Just put in a black, and it does everything. The units software is not on the drive, as I understand it, so the hard drive is used only for storage. I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS

And what's up with the OTA??? Would be pretty useless unless they have MY local HD channels on the dish??

6. Mikey_C

Mikey_C Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I'd tell...

With the latest software update, they enabled the eSATA port, so all you have to do is plug it in and you're in business, the only drawback (for now) is that the box will only use ONE drive (either the external one or the internal one). It won't "join" the two drives. More info here.

7. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    OK, according to the DirectTV website, I can get HD locals (Charlotte NC) via the dish. I know the mgp4 quality isn't as good as OTA, but I haven't compared them yet.

Any other issues would be appreciated.

**What line should I use to get the $99 deal??? Do I need to tell them I've got a better offer, or just beg? I've had DirecTV since 1994!

8. Mikey_C

Mikey_C Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I'd tell...
    Go to the link in my previous post...you'll find a wealth of information on the HR20-700 over at dbstalk.