Why should I not change to Sky+

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by campbeji, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1 of 59
    campbeji

campbeji New Member

Oct 30, 2004

Advertisements

Hi all,

Before I get flamed I have no intention or changing to Sky+.

I got into a discussion with a fried recently with a friend who had got a new sky+ box and was telling me how good it was, he told me I should change away from Tivo because Sky+ was better. Nonsense I thought, but I have had no experience of Sky+ to be able to compare the two.

So what are the pro's and con's of Tivo as opposed to Sky+.

Thanks

Jim

2. Jan 2, 2008 #2 of 59
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Sky+ = twin tuners, Dolby 5.1 sound
    TiVo = everything else! :up:

Honestly, the Sky+ user interface is utter pants - a poorly thought out, crappy, cheap, addition to the normal Sky EPG. It has about 5% of the functionality of a TiVo.

3. Jan 2, 2008 #3 of 59
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I have to agree with blindlemon

Sky+ is usefull if you need 2 tuners, but you are losing a lot in reliability and use if you go for this reason...

Hard to describe, you will just have to trust me..

I used Sky+ for the minimum 12 months before I ditched it with so much joy.....

Now, if you (as I am) looking at the HD service, that may be a different matter...

I would have Sky HD with the basic sky subscription. I would NOT pay Sky the extra £10 for the HD feed on sky channels. The HD feed from BBC, ITV etc... will be free...

I just want to see how the relaunch of the HD service this spring, with BBC, ITV CH4 all coming on board will work.

I hate the fact that the HD channels are all over the place on different channel numbers..

They should have a option for SD HD in the menu, and the 101, 102, 103 etc... feeds will be the HD ones, if thats what has been set.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 59
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    If you buy a copy of DigiGuide as well that helps but of course a manual task selecting items to record.

DigiGuide program data is typically more accurate than Tivo's data leading to the correct program being recorded.

I would also make the jump to Sky+ HD if you can afford the extra cost.

http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=69933

It is also claimed Sky after hundreds of years are going to upgrade the EPG on later Sky boxes to introduce more features and even may cache the data on the hard drive for faster access and while dual recording.

Other Sky+ points
    Better Picture (compared with a standard Tivo and the best possible in UK with Sky HD)
    Less clutter in your living room.
    Green, low power consumption of equipment.
    Current, not last century's technology
    Subtitles for hard of hearing

Automan.

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 59
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK

Advertisements

Gary Sargent did a Tivo vs Sky+ a while back. It is still available on Tivo Portal
    http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/TIVOvsSKY.htm

Another nice Tivo feature is its hackability :) (and the Glo remote).

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 59
    johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    Older technology was built to last. :D

Isn't that because the Sky+ box is a tuner and HDD recorder in the same box? Tivo can do subtitles if the STB supports it.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 59
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Re subtitles the older teletext ones can work with Tivo if you have 2.5.5 and a TV that does not object.

If Digital subtitles are set to on in the Sky setup menu Tivo will of course record them with the picture but no option if someone else wants to watch that program without them.

Sky+ supports all the formats of Subtitles that work.

Automan.

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 59
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Sky+ (and most other PVRs) can only record directly from the guide.

That limitation, and the lack of any sort of keyword, genre etc search or auto-record kills them dead for me.

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 59
    Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Next time you are round at your mates ask to watch something with commercial breaks from his Sky + planner and then keep moaning when he cannot jump the ads as it is so much easier on TiVo but really tricky using the Sky +.

You can also ask him to try and find when the next episode of a particular series is scheduled. Again no search facility on Sky +, plenty of scope to search using title or keywords on TiVo.

Ask him to record a programme that has already started Sky + will have nothing in the buffer whereas TiVo will stitch on the previous half hour if no channel change is necessary.

Lastly ask him how much it will cost him to subscribe to sky over the next 12 months

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Sky+ does that also. Just press record twice and it will save all of the current program (assuming it was on that channel since program start).

Automan.

11. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sky+ has the benefits of:

Picture quality - stores the actual broadcast data with no re-encoding
    Twin Tuners
    (In principle) live EPG updating for over-running events
    More comprehensive EPG data (more channels with full data)
    Dolby 5.1 (some boxes only)
    Better Dolby Pro Logic (the 32kHz re-encode from TiVo makes a bit of a mess of the phase info that encoded surround uses)
    Press green to set up a recording in a trailer
    Ability to record stuff shown on "Press Red" interactive channels, ie you can record the football march that's available through Press Red.
    Ability output in HDMI and component (some boxes)

TiVos advantages are of course legion.

12. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    It never used to when I had it, but I suppose sky+ is a product that is continously being upgraded and money is being but into development from the profits of its subscriptions. Afterall we have to be greatfull as the SKY+ service is free, and they are not charging £10 per month for it.

Also, the skipping and forwarding is not as clever as TiVo which skips back, but you do (After time) get used to it..

Also with regards to cost, you can get a subscription for £16 PCM, the entainment pack has loads of good channels over Freeview, loads of the +1hr on most channels which is usefull if you are using tivo.

Also with this you get free broadband, and £135 Quidco cash back.

So for my year, it is costing £16 x 12 = £184 - £135 Quidco Total £49, for my sky box, install, and broadband via a LLU ADSL2 for the year which is a bargain.

EDIT: I think I pay £17 as I have added another pack?? Incase I mentioned it on another thread.

13. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    The save rewind TV buffer feature was added sometime 2007 which I must admit have only used about three or four times.

One last + is the ability to browse the what's on (program names only) while you are playing a recording.

I find a lot of TV now lacks interest so at least I can search for another program to record or watch while playing a recording.

No such information is available with Tivo while playing a recording it has made.

Automan.

14. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    From the Sky Guide - selecting HD channels just lists the HD channels.

15. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    The Sky users chooses whether this is enabled and then can choose 5, 15, 30 or 60 minutes - TiVo is fixed at 30 (unless hacked).

16. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    but only 7 days for tv only - TiVo has up to 21 for tv and radio
    Only working on Sky branded channels at present

17. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Must disagree strongly here.

Sky+/HD is a guess as to when the ads finish - although some channels (like Sky and ITV) now run trailers for their own programmes - so you can stop FF as soon as this appear. But this is a bit of pot luck. I've has Sky+ since the launch and have never got used to the fact that FF stops and you then have to rewind back.

TiVo will rewind back slightly automatically and within a few minutes you master the art of hitting play at the right moment.

18. cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    But Sky+ decides to dump the buffer whenever you access the planner :(

Sky+ software is really last century - no enabled ethernet!

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You can also stop it doing this with one of the 'backdoor codes' mentioned earlier.

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    With TiVo and MCE I use multiple clicks of the skip 30 seconds button, which I find requires less concentration to get right.

Fortunately Sky is very formulaic with its ad breaks and you learn to drop out at the end of the movie trailer before the program restarts!