Why not? Dual Tuner software with 2 tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GiantBeer, Apr 27, 2006.

1. GiantBeer

GiantBeer New Member

Feb 19, 2003

Advertisements

Now that Tivo has software that works with two tuners. Do you think it is stretch for Tivo to allow that software to be used to connect two single tuner tivos together and resolve all my conficts like a two tuner Tivo?

Just trying to make it easier on myself to figure out which of my three Tivos is taping what.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

yes it is a stretch as that would involve HME communication between the two TiVos and getting all the APIs written to do that. IT CAN be done but now that TiVo has a dual tuner analog and soon digital model I imagine that cooperative scheduling has moved way down the priority list.

I would hope though they would work on an HME app that would show a to do list for all the TiVos combined on a TiVo mneu and allow movement of season passes in some easy manner. That would be killer :up: :up:

3. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    ahhhh.... multiple tivo's, connected via a usb "AA" cable or via ethernet.
    Co-operative network scheduling in all it's creamy goodness.

We can dream, can't we?
    ;)

4. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe it could happen via a serial cable... I'd be all about trying that out ;).

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

They've had software capable of dealing with dual tuners on the DirecTiVo units for about 5 years now. Cooperative scheduling is a completely different animal. Like Zeo said now that they have a dual tuner standalone unit I highly doubt cooperative scheduling is on their road map. :(

Dan

6. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    It's one software feature that would REALLY distinguish TiVo as the premier, ultra-premium DVR on the market. Well, most of us already think it is, but to convince others...

7. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    That would sick, if you could connect 5 tivo's together, and have one master Season Pass area, and it just works its way down on each tivo so every tivo is in use about equal amount of time, almost everything gets recorded, and very simple management.

I agree, it would blow everyone out of the water, and people would buy a few at a time!

8. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    If they had coop scheduling, it'd encourage *me* (at the least) to buy MORE units (DT, HD, whatever). It would influence me because working together, the units would have even more value than they would apart.

9. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Agreed. Even cooperative scheduling between 2 (Dual Tuner SA S2s) - 4 tuners all together - would be fantastic and a marketable feature. Would be a great feature to add to help those folks out with multiple single tuners, and those in the future to create an incentive to buy more than one dual tuner box, etc....

So, two single tuner Tivos could work together to give you two tuners working coorperatively, or

one single tuner with a dual tuner tivo, giving you a total of 3 tuners working cooperatively

and on, and on, etc...

This would be a great marketable point to distinguish TiVo on...

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    writing a season pass manager that dealt with two tuners was most likely a challenge due to the analog and digital thing on the dual tuner.

The complexity of writing something taht could deal with many tuners in the variety of S2 , S2DT and S3 additions with the possibility of satellite and digitial cable and analog is kind of staggering to me.

if TiVo published the HME apis to do scheduling and look at to do lists - some 3rd party guy with the programming chops like Leon could rough something out and then get it polished up over time.

for TiVo to put it out though would mean it had to work reasonably well with little understanding from the lay person on differetn types of TiVo DVRs. It would take a huge amount of TiVo resource to do. very cool no doubt but I would rather have the smaller scope of just being able to see what is scheduled on other TiVos and be able to move a season pass to another TiVo.

Bonus would be the initialize this new TiVo to have teh season pass and shows of this other TiVo.