why no sports score app?

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by BlackBetty, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1 of 132
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I want to be able to fire up this app on my TiVo and see all the current sport scores.

2. Apr 10, 2007 #2 of 132
    apps-tv

apps-tv apps.tv for hme apps

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    If you can point to a clean, legal feed for that data I'd be happy to write one. Last time I looked into it there were no feeds providing the scores. You'd end up having to scrape it from some website. Just an rss feed with the scores would be enough.

I think the data is pretty tightly controlled (at it least it was a decade ago when I worked for espn.com).

I'd love to be proven wrong about that, I was wishing I had that app a few days ago while waiting to see if the avalanche would eek into the playoffs.

3. Apr 10, 2007 #3 of 132
    ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Maybe the html or js source resulting from the calls a sports ticker somewhere provides would suffice? but it wouldn't be general at all, and would need to be hand-endtered, or written into a Galleon or PC-based "drag-drop ticker URL here" kind of app!

Oh, and it's eke, although if you're talking about the Avs, perhaps eek IS more appropriate ;)

4. Apr 11, 2007 #4 of 132
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I wish yahoo would create one. They gave us weather and traffic. It would be killer if they gave us a sports score app. They obviously already have access to all that info.

Now that is something I would brag and show off to friends when they came over.

5. Apr 11, 2007 #5 of 132
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know how reliable it is, but here is a site which offers current sports scores via RSS...

http://www.totallyscored.com

Dan

6. Apr 11, 2007 #6 of 132
    apps-tv

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA

Yeah, I had looked at them, but I believe they only post scores of completed games. I'll double check. That may be enough to have at least something though. Right now, they seem to be down for me.

7. Apr 11, 2007 #7 of 132
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I was just looking around and I discovered that the NBA actually offers an official RSS feed for scores. Unfortunately none of the other major sports do the same. :(

http://www.nba.com/scores/rss.xml

Dan

8. Apr 11, 2007 #8 of 132
    apps-tv

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I'll see what I can do with it.

9. Apr 11, 2007 #9 of 132
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  10. Apr 11, 2007 #10 of 132
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    do you smell that? .....Its the smell of progress :)

11. Apr 12, 2007 #11 of 132
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Wow, looks like we are going to get a sports ticker! Yes, can't wait! Great find Dan!

Can any RSS feed be made to work on TiVo? What about the RSS feed from this site?

12. Apr 12, 2007 #12 of 132
    apps-tv

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Sweet! I'll see what I can do in the next couple days.

And yes, this can fit into any hme rss reader, galleon has one and I think there's one that comes with the hme sdk.

13. Apr 12, 2007 #13 of 132
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Will you be making one with the option to check off the feed(s) you wish to subscribe to, or several different versions?

14. Apr 12, 2007 #14 of 132
    apps-tv

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    My guess is that the first pass will be dead simple, a list of sports linking to a screen with all the scores for that day (and probably yesterday).

15. Apr 16, 2007 #15 of 132
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I actually wrote one a long time ago and still use it. I've recently been working on having it display box scores and such, but thats still a work in progress. I've attached some screenshots to show what the app does. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done...

My problem is I do not know how to distribute or make an install for it. I'm a vc++ programmer and just learned java so I could write the application. If someone wants to teach me or guide me on how to make it distributable, that would be great. But I'm not giving away the source code, especially right now since I'm in the middle of doing more work on it (the box scores).

Attached Files:

16. Apr 16, 2007 #16 of 132
    apps-tv

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Nice, to distribute it, you should just make a jar with all the necessary files including the files from the hme.jar, hme-host-sample.jar and bananas.jar

with all those in there the user can start it from the commandline

17. Apr 16, 2007 #17 of 132
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    cool. Looks like a great start! I see a sports HME app being a killer app for the TiVo. A hell of a lot better than the current yahoo and game stuff we have.

18. Apr 17, 2007 #18 of 132
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    If I supply the jar files, can someone make an installer program. I know you can do it from the command line, but I've been wanting to give this to a few people recently, but they aren't really computer people and wouldn't understand how to do that. I'm hoping for an install application that will run the program on startup. I'd like to also use the install program to learn how to do it as I have a few other ideas for apps in the future...

I do need a few days before i can get you all those jar files. As I mentioned in the initial posting I'm in the process of adding box score features (for baseball) and it still has a lot of work to be done on that (finding time for that is a challenge!). So I'll want to take those out and just distribute the original program which gives you scores of all games of all sports (in progress and completed games).

One final thing about an installer. Is it possible to get it to work with Galleon?

19. Apr 17, 2007 #19 of 132
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    apps-tv,

you mentioned you can run it from the command line. can you explain how to do that. I would like to test it on one of my other computers. like i said earlier, i'm a c++ programmer and am completely new to java, so excuse me for my lack of knowledge! Right now I have the three jar files (hme.jar, hme-host-sample.jar, and SportScores.jar)...

Thanks

20. Apr 17, 2007 #20 of 132
    F8ster

F8ster The Very Last One

May 26, 2002
    It'll be something like this:

Code:
    java -cp hme.jar;hme-host-sample.jar;SportScores.jar com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main [COLOR=Red]my.package.name.SportScores[/COLOR]
    This is a Windows example, and you'll have to replace the stuff in red with the package name and Application class for your app, but this should get you started.

Depending on what my time looks like, I can write you a quickie installer, at least for Windows boxes. It's also fairly easy to wrap this as a Windows service using exe4j or javaservice. See my developer how-tos here:

http://bitrazor.com/content/tivo/hme/howtos/index.php

I also highly recommend the excellent Beginning TiVo Programming book, which covers a lot of this stuff, and it's not just because I was one of the editors. :)

-- Dave