Why No Hulu Plus for Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Emacee, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Why isn't Hulu Plus being made available on Series 3 and HD Tivo boxes, like the other online services? I know a lot of you are knowledgeable about Tivo technology: Is there something that Premiere units have that is necessary for Hulu Plus (which Series 3 boxes don't have)? Or is Tivo just holding back Hulu Plus to push Series 3 users to get new boxes (and new subscriptions)? Seeing how Tivo does business, I suspect the latter but thought I'd ask.

Are there any other online services coming that also won't be available on Series 3?

2. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    The one thing I can tell you is the hulu interface is a little slow on the premiere. I imagine it would be even slower on my HD, probably to the point no one would use it.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm assuming that the Hulu+ app uses the Flash capability of the Premiere, which would prevent it from running on the S3. I don't really know that, but it does have a very different look than the typical HME app.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Series 3 TiVos while perfectly good DVRs are at this point running on fairly outdated and low end hardware. So there are likely hardware issues but we will also really never know for sure.

But honestly if you have a TiVo connected to OTA & Verizon FIOS cable why would you want to pay for Hulu+?

Thanks,

5. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I don't use back-up much. When I first got the Series 3 I saw frequent pixelation on the broadcast channels through FIOS, so I started recording off the air. That problem is mostly solved, so I'm back to recording those channels through FIOS. More recently, FIOS was been slow to add Real TV and Antenna TV, so I used OTA for those for a while.

I've seen posts here from people not satisfied with Hulu Plus, so I'm not sure whether I'd go with it beyond a trial period. It does seem to have a lot of old shows I'd like to see again, which is why I might be interested. In any case, I could watch Hulu Plus on my PC (which I have hooked up to my TV). It just seemed curious to me that Tivo has other on-demand services but not Hulu Plus. Hulu Plus still is not a good enough reason for me to buy a new box and a new lifetime subscription.

In general, Tivo does not seem to well by old users with old boxes, and takes our loyalty (and continued willingness to give them money) for granted.

6. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I was coming here now to ask this same question. I am thinking of getting rid of cable again and going OTA with Netflix but wanted HuluPlus too.

I might end up buying a $60 Roku2 but really wanted everything in one unit.

7. dwgsp

dwgsp Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Perinton, NY
    Your assumption is correct, as recently confirmed by @TivoDesign on Twitter.

"No, Hulu Plus requires Flash, which only runs on Premiere."

/Don

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I suggest you look closely at what is and is not available on Hulu+ when you are using it on anything but a computer. Without access to the shows that are only available on a computer Hulu+ is very lacking.

Just for reference when you are looking at the web site if the show doesn't specifically say it is available on Hulu+ then you can only view it on your computer. It will not be available on a Premiere, Roku or any other device.

9. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I know what your saying. One thing to do when your on Hulu.com is to click the Hulu Plus box and also HD box so only those shows display. There are about 200 TV series showing and all of these will be available on all devices so you can just add to your favorites.

When you uncheck the HD box, you start seeing some of the older series and its hit or miss if they can play on TV. I know WWE wrestling can not play on TV.