Why No HD Category in the guide?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MichaelK, Sep 29, 2006.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Advertisements

Maybe some one from TiVo answers. If not I guess it will be fun to speculate like we do about everythign else-

Why is there no HD category in the guide like there is on the HR10-250?

It's a significant flaw when trying to set up wishlists.

You cant even seem to search for keyword "HD" and get any hits.

Somehow the box knows what is hd- since it says so in the parenthesis after the desctiption on the banner and also puts them in the hd folder. So why isn't there a way for the user to search by that information.

Sure hope the november release fixes this.

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Will it let you search for "1080i"? Or is that info not part of the searchable program description?

3. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I have no idea why, but this is the most critical missing feature, and the most inexplicable given its appearance in the HR10-250. This is something TiVo really needs to do something about, and fast.

Searching for 1080i wouldn't help, I think those are generated from what the program was actually broadcast as. There does seem to be an HDTV keyword in guide entries, but annoyingly, searching for that matches a whole bunch of programs which don't seem to have HDTV in them anywhere.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If you're using the Grid Guide (ewwww) the Grid does have HD notations.

just an FYI

Diane

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

The grid guide has HD notations, but the traditional Tivo guide does not. Nor is there any way to append HDTV to a wishlist or search, as indicated by the prior posts.

I would hope that such features are among Tivo's top priorities (outside of bug fixes) for the next software update.

6. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    In fact, if you try to set up an "HDTV" keyword wishlist, you'll find that "View upcoming programs" takes about ten minutes to complete, thanks to the molasses searches on the S3, and then it provides you with 200 results that generally have no mention whatsoever of "HDTV" anywhere in their extended info.

7. daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast
    you can set AUDIO/VIDEO ->HDTV wishlist. But then if guide does not list HDTV in the description - you are out of luck

8. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    No such thing on the S3.

9. daperlman

daperlman check the rhime

Jan 25, 2002
    Southeast
    oops. didn't notice I was posting in the S3 fourm

10. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Its probably an issue with Tribune. Their guide data may not offer the info needed, in which case TiVo would be limited by that.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    ...except that the information DOES show up in the grid guide, so it's clearly there.

12. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    But is it part of the searchable data? Ie. you can't search "Letterbox" for letterboxed programs.

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm hoping it's on the list of software fixes in the first update.

It's one of those 'DOH!" moments that I can see being left by the wayside in the rush to get the OS fork stable, since they never needed it before.

But I'm with the other posters.. it's one of my top 5 "S3 issues"

Diane

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seems to me that it's only non-searchable because TiVo doesn't make it searchable. The data is there, whether the search engine is programmed to look for it or not.

15. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    That's the next question.

16. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    It's just not there, i'm pretty sure the info is there, there's just never been an audio/video category.

There's also no SHOW TYPE search which has such things as season premiere, season finale, repeat, PPV, live etc...

They really should add them.

-smak-

17. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    That would involve TiVo providing something it has already determined you don't need. :confused:

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Obviously the data for whether or not the program is HD is available. TiVo just needs to add the category. That being said I have no idea how hard it is to add a category to the serach, so it may not be as simple as it sounds.

Dan

19. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    This is a good point.

It's probably a simple matter for the software to display "LB" or "HD" when viewing the grid guide, because the software just retrieves key data elements for each title currently being listed.

However, to provide a Search Category for HD and Letterbox, TiVo would first have to create indexes for these elements. This may or may not be trivial.

20. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I think TiVo has already put their two programmers at work to try and figure out a way to do analog TTG on the Series 3. Maybe if they hired a third?