Why no HBO Go app for the TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BlackBetty, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1 of 30
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004

Advertisements

That would be a GREAT addition!!

It seems like it is being added to a lot of devices (roku, xbox, ipad, etc etc) but no mention of TiVo.

2. Apr 5, 2012 #2 of 30
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Because Tivo is relatively small potatoes and HBO doesn't think it is worth the development effort or at least isn't a high priority.

3. Apr 5, 2012 #3 of 30
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I wonder if HBO shows will become available through the upcoming Comcast VOD rollout?

4. Apr 5, 2012 #4 of 30
    rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I imagine TiVo is a pretty low priority for them, since it requires a HBO cable subscription and TiVo is a cable box.

HBO probably figures you can watch their shows on the HBO channel directly or through your cable provider's VOD service.

Comcast Xfinity does include HBO, they don't allow their subscribers to login to HBO Go. So the answer is "probably, yes".

5. Apr 5, 2012 #5 of 30
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004

Advertisements

HBO Go offers a TON more than just regular HBO on VOD. For example you maybe able to watch half a dozen Soprano's episodes on demand. But with HBO Go you can watch the ENTIRE season.

I really wish tivo could get HBO go onto the premiere's.

6. Apr 5, 2012 #6 of 30
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    The problem with HBO Go is that you have to have an HBO subscription through your cable provider to access it. I want to just pay HBO directly and get HBO Go without the channel.

7. Apr 5, 2012 #7 of 30
    rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Actually we will probably get HBO GO since it would add more ondemand for many small providers.

The problem comes from the cable companies, take a look at the other HBO go apps - xfinity customers can't use it on xbox, roku, samsung - You know Tivo doesn't want to put an app out that won't be supported by probably the most common connection to TiVo Boxes.

Also HBO has stated that the reason they don't offer subscriptions directly is because they are not on enough devices - they are trying to be as ubiquitous as netflix and once they are we can pay directly.

Xfinity on demand for Tivo is suppose to be out soon but it will not have the entire selection like HBO GO does - basically I think Tivo hasn't done it yet since they don't want what has been the PR **** storm for the xbox apps.

For Example: Tivo is awesome and made sure there isn't the stupid requirement : that I must have xfinity for internet and TV to get ondemand like it is on the xbox 360. I am a business class subscriber and because my internet and TV are not on the same account no xbox 360 on demand :(

8. Apr 5, 2012 #8 of 30
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    As you know, that is not their current business model.

TiVo is not writing any of these latest apps (YouTube/Netflix), I assume their new tool is either out or will be out shortly. I continue to advocate that if you want an app for the TiVo, you should reach out to the service provider directly for the request. As you would for Android or iOS.

Now, if I was a service provider, the decision is easy. Prioritize app creation for the greatest available profit. TiVo's current subscription rate does not put them high on that list, not to mention that as a DVR you can already timeshift currently available HBO content. So letting them know vocally that this is wanted is the only way to attempt to bump their build priority.

9. Apr 5, 2012 #9 of 30
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Now that TiVo is starting to provide a SDK and letting developers create their own apps, I don't think it is out of the question that HBO Go will come to Tivo eventually.

10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Exactly. People that want all these new apps are going to waiting a long time for Tivo to deliver. They do not have the market power of the Xbox or PS3 or even Roku, so the providers aren't doing anything and Tivo isn't pushing hard enough.

Tivo will never be the mythical 'one box' IMO, you'll always need to get something else if you want the latest apps. And that's fine if they don't market themselves as such and continue providing the best DVR features on the market.

But that doesn't excuse them from not getting the provided apps up to date, such as Amazon streaming.

11. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    TiVo needs to open up like apple did with their app store. I don't know why they are dragging their feet on this.

12. Flojomojo

Flojomojo Handsome Devil

Dec 30, 2001
    AppleTv doesn't have HBO Go either, and as far as I know, you can't send video from the iPad/iPhone app to it over AirPlay or HDMI mirroring yet (as of July 2012 anyway).

HBO Go on XBOX 360 is amazing, even though you need a subscription to the cable package and XBOX Gold to see it.

Since Google made the YouTube channel for Tivo, and Netflix made their respective updated channel, I sure hope HBO gets to do the same thing, at least where allowed by cable companies.

Selfish tip: do Verizon FIOS first! :)

13. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    You can Airplay HBO Go from an iPad or iPhone but the quality isn't that good.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    HBOGo on XBox is great. However I'd much rather just watch it on my TiVo. I hope TiVo is at least trying to get HBOGo support brought to TiVo.

Dan

15. Tyrion The Imp

Tyrion The Imp A Lannister

Jul 11, 2012
    New York
    I hope Playstation gets HBO GO. Still waiting

16. Flojomojo

Flojomojo Handsome Devil

Dec 30, 2001
    Supposedly it's on the way for ps3. Android just got it so maybe we are next.

17. Kingpcgeek

Kingpcgeek Couch Potato

Feb 6, 2012
    Basin of...
    A $50 Roku solves the HBO Go issue for many, and the Amazon Prime issue that is requested quite often here. I know everyone wants the magical one box, buts its not going to happen. A TiVo and a Roku in combination include quite a bit of content consumption options.

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think it will happen. Tivo has wanted to be the "one box" for a long time. They are getting there. The Xfinity app is pretty good (despite the "folders" that Comcast uses). However, the app is integrated with the Tivo search so it's not a deal breaker for me.

19. Flojomojo

Flojomojo Handsome Devil

Dec 30, 2001
    And the AppleTV handles iTunes purchases nicely, but it does not have HBO, Epix, or any of the goofy third party channels the Roku has. Roku reminds me of TiVo ~8 years ago, when they added the home networking apps and games, most of which are still in SD and have not been refreshed in ages.

What's needed is a little bit more convergence. We aren't made of HDMI inputs. TiVo is the big daddy with multistreaming cable cards and the spinning hard drives. It should have these apps, or it will set itself up to be replaced by something better from Apple or Google.

20. Tyrion The Imp

Tyrion The Imp A Lannister

Jul 11, 2012
    New York
    That's good news I can definitely use my coworkers password for HBO GO on my ps3