Why isn't Conan better?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by calitivo, Oct 22, 2011.

1. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    I have watched Conan since his first show on Late Night and think that Andy Richter is phenomenal. I loved the absurdity the show was willing to go for and once it hit its stride, it was great for a while. Everything was fair game. The band, Andy, the writers, Triumph, masterbating bear, etc. Anything for a laugh.

Was excited for him to take over the Tonight Show, but was disappointed with how he tamed the show down. Had hoped the new TBS Conan show would give him the opportunity to go back to his roots, but it seems like he has embraced mostly the bad parts of the Tonight Show. There is no interaction with the band; there is hardly any Brian McCann and Brian Stack live bits (the best part of many years during Late Night). And Conan's fake laughing during interviews is ridiculous at this point. We know his sense of humor and he's clearly faking it all the time. The monologue isn't as funny and dark as it used to be. The interviews are overdone with so many bad set up questions that it's not natural. Is it that difficult to do what Kimmel or Stewart do and have a normal conversation. Seems like the need to be a Tonight Show type host really has taken away from what he did best.

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I read somewhere that they're deliberately trying to not do the same kinds of bits they did on "The Tonight Show" and "Late Night" (only partly due to concerns over "intellectual property").

What did you think of the "women staying overnight at the studio" business this past week?

3. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I actually find it a little more amusing now.

And I thought that the women in the studio was kinda funny-especially when they brought in the Burger King Kin. That made me laugh.

4. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I thought those great Late Night shows he did during the writers' strike proved that the problem is his writers stink, but he likes them too much to ever get rid of them.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    embrassed?

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think Conan is pretty good as is, but I'll grant not nearly as good as he was in the latter days of the Tonight Show, when he had absolutely nothing to lose and a big axe to grind. It'd be nice if his humor on his show had a much sharper edge to it.

7. calitivo

calitivo Active Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Oops. Meant embraced (now fixed).

8. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Because Conan is in it.

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I think the answer is much simpler. He's older than he was back then. Like it or not, entertainers change with age, just like the rest of us. Their lives change, so their product/presentations change.

Steve Martin isn't the same wacky guy he was when he was younger either. Neither is Robin Williams.

10. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    When given the choice between "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" versus "Conan," I have chosen the Comedy Central properties. They are more consistently amusing, and the interviews are much more worthwhile than Conan's terrible attempts. I watched "Late Night" religiously back in the day, but I just don't have any desire to put the time into watching a show like "Conan" that is so uneven.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    +1 on all of it.

12. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    As big a Conan fan as I am, I have to mostly agree with the OP. I can't really figure out the root cause, but I think Scooterboy comes closest. Conan and I are the same age (48). As such, I think we're both growing out of the 18 - 49 demographic. I know I still love the show, but I can see a time in a few years where it won't represent my sense of humor anymore. I wonder if this is also happening to Conan. If so, what does he do? Will his heart still be in the show a few years from now?

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is probably because it is absurdist it does not do well. I am more into irony and poking pop culture.