Why is TiVo software stuck in the single-tuner days?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by coryb891, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 61
    coryb891

coryb891 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    I get really frustrated sometimes with the TiVo software when it makes decisions seemingly using logic from the stone-age single-tuner days. Just now I tried to record a program that started at 7:00. The thing popped up and said that another program was already scheduled and it would have to cancel it. I had no idea why it couldn't record both since I have two tuners, and I didn't feel like messing with it so I just cancelled the previous recording. About 15 minutes later I get a notice asking to change the channel to NBATV to record a TiVo suggestion - a basketball game from 6:00 to 8:30. ?!?!?!

First of all, why does the thing regard its own suggestion more highly than the one I told it to record? And second, why is TiVo giving me a one-or-the-other choice anyways. This isn't the type of one-or-the-other scenario we had when TiVos had a single tuner. It's like the programmers just don't want to mess with their decade old algorithm for prompting the user. Why can't it ask "Which of the following do you wish to cancel? Option 1, Option 2, Option 3?" Seems like a pretty obvious functionality.

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 61
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    TiVo software STILL sucks!

It's because they feel they have a brand manopoly and no one wants to challenge them.

I had this cablecard TiVo and the On Demand controls would lag like crazy. Sometimes when you press too many FF/RW/Skip...it either "queues up" however many command times it wants and does it in either single skip or "blocks" with playback in between...or it skips all the way to the end of the movie for no reason and you have to start the move from the beginning! LOL

And it doesn't cache menus (a simple obvious function any half wit programmer knows how to do), so unless you have like a perfect internet connection (think wireless) it would lag like crazy too.

The suggestion thing might be a result of financed promotion. I noticed that to at one point. But we would never really know.

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 61
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, I too have similar frustrations about the software and how cumbersome it is to save what is already in my delayed live viewing so that the TiVo can change channels to start a timer recording-the other tuner is already in use for a recording or will be at the same time.

While TiVo is still a good DVR, some of the finer points on DVR software should have been improved by TiVo, but that may have taken them to a place where they would be infringing on patents. Here is what I like about the Dish DVR's that I wish TiVo could have something similar:

1. In delayed live viewing, a pop-up always notifies me that changing channels can only be executed in "Live" (or more precisely, the delay must caught up to "Live"). AT this prompt I am given a choice of cancelling the channel change or executing it, and the DVR will do it for me in delayed mode

This feature also prevent the DVR from dumping the buffer and changing to another channel in delayed viewing if I accidentally attempt to change channels. There have been more than a few times when I accidentally changed channels on my TiVo's and thereby LOSING what I had been watching in delayed mode.

2. When the other tuner is recording or is set to record at the same time, the pop-up 2 minute countdown appears warning that the tuner I am viewing will change channels for a timer recording. In delayed mode (and Live) I can press the record button and a pop-up of options appears including Record Entire Program provided the tuner was tuned to it from the beginning, Record remainder of Program which from this point to the end will save the remainder of the program while you view and the other tuner will tune to the other channel, or I can manually select from which point I want to save the program by REW to any point the program is in buffer, press record and select "Save Remaining Program"

The point is that it is far more intuitive on the Dish DVR's, while executing similar commands on a TiVo while watching delayed live programming is cumbersome and with no prompts to guide you. I always have to play around or try to remember the "trick" to get it to do what I want, and I don't car for the fact that TiVo always save what is in the entire buffer if all I want is the last 2 minutes. However, I do accept that this is how TiVo works and don't let it bother too much.

This isn't kicking TiVo, it is a sense of sadness that TiVo having been so innovative and well ahead of the pack 13 years ago seems to have not improved some of the finer points of the DVR software to IMPROVE what WAS a great (or BEST) product but what is now a GOOD product because TiVo sometimes seems stuck in 1999. I can tell you that at Dish, many of the finer refinements and GREAT features that TiVo doesn't have (but some are on this forum's TiVo Wish List of features) is because Dish really listens to its customers and have added features and refinements because their customers asked or demanded it. Meanwhile it seems TiVo stopped listening to its customers (if it ever really did) back in the year 2000. But, then again, TiVo's real customers are the MSO's these days and not the retail subscribers. So that makes sense. I would really have preferred if TiVo had listened to us more and had really done the OTT features A1 top flight best similar to the Roku experience. It's heartbreaking that the "one box" that TiVo is supposed to be really requires one to also buy a Roku or Boxee Box, et al. Well, TiVo is still the best DVR for OTA and better than the current cable DVR's (maybe better than DirecTV, but certainly not better than Dish DVR's), but may not be able to hold a candle to some of cable's future DVR products. Finally the Elite is created, but not for OTA. I really would have gotten an Elite if it had offered 4 tuners for OTA, as well. I would have gladly upgraded, but if that's the case, I still prefer the S3 platform for reasons many have already posted.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 61
    jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Spend some time with other DVR's, maybe that'll help ease your pain.

Nothing is perfect and TiVo is a perfect example, you can make the best or one of the best products and still suffer from annoying issues.

I value BMW as the best pure drivers car available for the price. But, let me tell you, for all their great cars, each have an annoying little issue. Why do the cup holders have to suck? Why does the MMI require so many steps to back up from a menu? And many other things.

Just like the TiVo.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 61
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And yet, like democracy, it's still the best anyone has come up with, so far.

When my wife decides I'm all she can handle, that's a manopoly.:D

You also mentioned this in another thread yesterday. Could you elaborate how your TiVo has OnDemand and PPV?

Suggestions are chosen based on a "what TiVo thinks you like" algorithm. Promotions and payments play no role.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #6 of 61
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The program starting at 7:00 - How long was it scheduled to run?

7. Feb 5, 2012 #7 of 61
    rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. I don't know the technical details or the name of the update that give it OD or PPV. It just has it. It's a cablecard TiVo...which I guess unlocks premium channels and OD/PPV. I don't know what else to say about it, but that feature sux compared to simple "Motorola" DVR's or whatever. And if you've tried it, I'm sure you would agree.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 61
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's good to know that, based on the level of knowledge/ignorance revealed by this post, we can give your opinion all the consideration it is due, which is to say none.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #9 of 61
    vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    FYI, tivo's do not support on demand.:rolleyes:

10. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    yet ...

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Turn off Tivo Suggestions. Problem solved.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thank you. Your reply told me everything I need to know.

13. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    So you're saying I'm lying about TiVo having On Demand? lol Why the heck would I do that??? Are you such a fanboi of TiVo's that you just can't accept that there's a feature that fails on it and just deny that it exists? whatever.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    No one is saying that you are lying. They are just saying, and rightfully so, that you don't know what you are talking about. The S1 did not do on demand. The S2 did not do on demand. The S3 did not do on demand. The S4 does not do on demand. TiVo does not currently, nor ever has supported on demand.

15. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Not entirely true as I said in the other post on this subject, RCN will lease you a Tivo premiere with a hook in the software to get to RCN's on Demand. What rasmasyean doesn't realize (or maybe in unaware of) is that when you watch RCN PPV through a regular RCN box, no tivo involved the FF/Rew controls are just as laggy as what he is seeing with his RCN Tivo. It is less obvious because with the regular remote all you have Play, stop FF, and Rew, so you don't have as much control as you do when looking at things recorded directly on the Tivo.

16. wbertram

wbertram Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Not to defend the OP, but the RCN branded TiVo, built by TiVo and supported by RCN, does both On Demand and Pay per View. when connected to the RCN cable system.

17. NGeorge

NGeorge Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Can anyone explain to me what the "upstream" information and the upstream IP address in the CableCard information screens is all about? I just happened to notice a reference to an upstream IP when configuring my Motorola CableCards on Comcast (it showed "inactive" and all 0's)...

Is it that the Tivos physically *cant* send signals upstream--or is it that they only support On Demand in a format for CableCards that pretty much all providers except RCN and a few tiny systems do not support?

I thought CableCards could do 2 way, but it was some copy protection BS that kept them from being supported... not actual ability to do it.

--Nat

18. AnthonyWeiner

AnthonyWeiner New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Please read signature below.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    hmm. What model TiVo, cable system and exact screen did you see this on? The only IP address I see in the CableCARD screens is under "Interactive Info". The title on the screen is "Interactive (Aloha) Info". Bunch of lines , the numeric portion of which are all 0s. First line is IP Address: 0.0.0.0

I think the problem with OD and PPV is that there is no standard protocol for upstream communication. Each Cable system has there own. The implementation supposedly being worked on for Premieres connected to Comcast reportedly is a purely s/w solution, requiring no h/w, not even the previously rumored USB dongle.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I agree on the OP point. I had a "clipping situation" where my wifes show ran till 10:05, I had a show that started at 10 and I wanted to record something that started at 10. It wanted to clip my wifes show that started at 10:05 and remove the last 5 minutes. My show was one that ran at 10 and 1AM! What I WANTED to do was cancel the recording of my 10 o'clock show and record the other show instead, but to do that, I had to manually pull up my season pass, tell it to record the 1AM showing (which, to TiVo's credit, did automatically cancel the 10 o'clock showing) then schedule my other show.

So, yes, I could do what I wanted to do, but when it showed the conflict menu, it would have been nice to give me a list of options to resolve the conflict instead of just giving me one.

Now, all of that said, this has happened like 5 times total over 10 years of TiVo ownership. So, you know, not really a big concern here especially given the work around.