Why is TiVo recording when I don't want it to?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by falmeida, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1 of 11
    falmeida

falmeida New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I'm a brand new owner (so far so good mostly) and have what may seem like a naïve question. I’ve only tried to record one show but at least twice, Tivo has changed the channel and began recording a program I did not ask for. Believe it or not, last night while we were watching the ball drop in Times Square, at the stroke of midnight, instead of seeing the 2006 light up, the TV changed to the start of a Brooks and Dunn concert. While I’m a fan, I had no intention of watching them at that time!! A few minutes ago, TV changed from the football game I was watching to a movie and began recording – very frustrating. When I went to the Now Playing List from TiVo central there were four programs waiting to be recorded. I’ve deleted the latest list but suspect it will happen again. I also suspect I may have set something that I shouldn’t have but am not sure where to look. HELP!

2. Jan 1, 2006 #2 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Check your manual for information about "Tivo Suggestions". You can disable this feature if you don't want it. But Tivo's Suggestions do not use hard drive space that your desired recordings need. It's Tivo's way of providing you with shows that you might not otherwise record on your own based on what it learns about your preferences.

See the FAQ at the top of this Forum for more information about Suggestions.

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 11
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    "Suggestions" is on by default. If you want to turn off the feature:
    From Tivo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Recording > TiVo Suggestions > No, ...

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 11
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I am a new tivo owner also. Is the suggestions why there are things that have been recorded that I didn't ask for? when I went to the 'playing now' section there were some shows that i had not asked for to be recorded there - similiar in content to what i had recorded before - but not exactly the same shows.
    These also had a little tivo box logo next to them.
    I thumbs downed them and then deleted them. I thought they may be coming from the tivo suggestions section and looked at that and was amazed at all the shows that were listed there. Probably only about 10% were any that I had an interest in.

5. Jan 1, 2006 #5 of 11
    Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    If it has the Tivo logo next to it, it is a Tivo suggeestion. Just turn them off.

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 11
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    As for the OP's question, I don't understand how it could have changed channels without you knowing it, if you were watching. It always asks you if you want to change the channel before it goes ahead and records a program.

/Mike

7. Jan 2, 2006 #7 of 11
    mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    If you're watching "live" off the buffer (i.e. not delayed but watching as it's recorded and played back) and haven't touched the remote in some time (I believe 15 minutes but it could be more) TiVo will assume that nobody is watching and will do Suggestions if they're enabled. You can avoid this by pausing "live" and letting a minute or two pile up (which is good cause you can skip forward over commercials too).

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 11
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Really? I never knew that. If so, that's idiotic! Are you sure that's the case? Of course, I wouldn't really run into that situation, so I wouldn't know... ;)

9. Oct 2, 2006 #9 of 11
    wakkanne

wakkanne New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Is that so? That begs the question: "If the Tivo wants to change the channel, and no one's around to see it, does it still ask first." :) I always assumed that it did.

That may answer my question as to why when I'm watching a program recording in real time, it will change the channel when its over without my permission. I've only noticed this recently because I rarely watch anything in real time. But I have seen my Tivo change the channel without permission only to NOT record anything!

Why would it do that?

10. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    If that happens late at night its probably recording one of the star ads or something for Showcases & TV Guide which is stored in the reserved section of the hard drive and doesn't show in your now playing list.

11. timmilinn

timmilinn New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    I, too, have had my Tivo change the channel without permission only to NOT record anything. It happens a lot, even in the middle of the day. The weird part is that when I press the "Enter/Last" button to return to the channel I was previously on (and still want to be watching) it doesn't go back to the previous channel, it stays on the channel that Tivo changed it too, like Tivo erased the memory of the previous channel. Does anyone know why it might be doing this or how I can get it to stop. It's terribly frustrating!