Why is my TODO list filled with old episodes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by imagexpo, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. imagexpo

imagexpo Member

Apr 16, 2015

Advertisements

This has always been a minor problem once in a while but lately my TODO list is filled with dozens and dozens of shows I have a OnePass for but are not new.

And they don't go away either. If I don't cancel them THEY RECORD!
    I am now spending ten minutes each day canceling episodes.

My ONEPASS is set for NEW only and the Tivo just seems to ignore that.

The worst channels are Motortrend, Discovery, History, and Oxygen - and that's most of the channels we watch.

God I wish there was an alternative to TIVO because I would jump on it in an instant.

krkaufman likes this.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look in the show data for the original airdate. The show info also matters, if its generic, then It gets recorded.

Just setting to NEW ONLY, not only get you new shows, but also shows with generic data/airdate.
    You also need to set "Start from Season: " <anything except season 1> In the Onepass options. (I would set it to the last/highest season number, to only get the current shows.)
    What this will do is, it eliminates the shows with generic data, and force it only record shows with proper guide data.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As TheAbtO indicated, generic guide data or bad Original Air Date information will cause this so you should take a look at those shows to see if that's what is happening. I see shows with generic data in the ToDo list generally beyond 7 days but at least for the shows that I record (including Motortrend) they resolve before the air date so they don't get recorded so I don't worry about them.

Scott

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Between TiVo and the Discovery family of channels, the guide data is total crap. Usually the guide data is mostly corrected before the air date, but not always. With the poor guide data, TiVo will err on the side of caution and record.

5. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018

Advertisements

I'd love to know the guide providers definition of new. Sometimes in the guide I see things marked as new that are 10-20 year old tv shows

6. imagexpo

imagexpo Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Yes, I understand all about air dates - none of the shows I posted have any air dates - the info is blank. They have no 'NEW' flag either.
    And I WISH the Tivo would err on the side of caution but that's not true either - I constantly have shows with a 'NEW' flag but no air date that is does NOT record.

7. imagexpo

imagexpo Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I sometimes can't help but wonder is some of these cable networks like Discovery and History are purposely feeding Rovi wrong guide info? Maybe to promote their own apps?

8. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    Noticeing this also on Saturday Night Live, Conan (with geriatric descriptions) and Counting On (recording old shows 6:00 AM). Come on Rovi, you can do better then this!

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo does not use the NEW flag in any way other than to display it, it is not part of the "is it new or not" decision.

jrtroo likes this.
  10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Can you give some examples so others can test?