Why is my TiVo trying to delete everything?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bananagrabbers, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bananagrabbers

bananagrabbers New Member

May 26, 2011

Advertisements

Hi all:

I currently have 20 programs (approx. 17 hours) saved in my TiVo, dating from this past week through the beginning of June. My meter says that I have used 33% of my space.

But this weekend, I noticed little yellow alerts next to nearly half of my programming. At first, these notices said the programs would be deleted within 3 days, and now within 24 hours.

Simply put, I don't understand why this is happening. I created all of these recordings (some Season Pass, some one-off recordings) with the "Until space is needed" option, and recorded them in Digital Quality. I'd understand if I was near capacity, but I'm not.

I also do not have any future recording glut that would necessitate space in the near future.

I even deleted all of my TiVo Suggestions, even those should be the first to go.

So what gives? Any pointers? I don't want to lose these recordings!

Thanks.

2. bananagrabbers

May 26, 2011
    Oh, and if it's helpful, I have a basic Premiere box (it's almost 2 months old) and a Comcast cable card.

3. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    The yellow icons simply tell you a show has become eligible for deletion. Nothing will actually be deleted until the space is needed.

4. Joey P

Joey P New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Deleting suggestions won't make a difference. Check in your To Do list, any recordings coming up, that will fill the hard drive, are what's going to push out the older recordings. If there's anything you want to save, go and change it from "Until space is needed" to "Keep until I delete"

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

this, I can not emphasize this enough, it's one of the umber one "panic items" for new users. I have yellow dot items that are years old, a Tivo will always delete suggestions before anything with a yellow icon that you recorded on purpose.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    If it bothers you, set the date they are saved until, usually about a month is the highest and reset them when they become yellow again. I recommend against putting everything at Keep Until I Delete.

7. bananagrabbers

May 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I have a combination of yellow dots and yellow dot exclamations. Does this apply to both?

The phrasing of the warning is what throws me off, as it explains that they *will* be deleted.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would only suggest using Keep Until I Delete (KUID) very sparingly.
    If something is important enough to mark KUID, you'd be better off transferring that to a computer HD for storage using Tivo Desktop (barring any copy protection, of course).

Bananagrabbers, do not delete shows from the Suggestions folder. Even though you have a disk space meter, you can use the suggestions folder as another indicator. As shows start to get deleted automatically from the Suggestions folder, keep an eye on the number next to the folder. When that number starts to reach (0), you know it's time to start taking action for any shows you want to save.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes.
    Think of it this way:
    Yellow dot = expiring soon.
    Yellow dot with an excamation point = expired.

Expired shows will remain in your list until space is needed.

10. subarr

subarr New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Georgia
    KUID is not a big deal as long as you monitor your To Do list. I use all KUID on my series 3 (not upgraded) and before that on my series 2 (not upgraded) and have never missed a recording (with 30+ season passes). If I record something, it's something I want to watch, so everything is KUID then deleted right after being watched. (I don't record in HD though, so I do have decent space.)

The To Do list will tell you how much time you have until recordings get skipped. Right now, my To Do list is populated up to Thursday. As I delete recordings, Friday shows will be added, then Saturday, etc. As long as there's a few days buffer, it works fine. To Do goes chronologically, so it will add shows as space opens up, no matter the priority. The only problem sometimes is if you manually add a one-time showing (not an SP), then it will "save" that space no matter how far in the future it is, but your To Do list will still show you at what point you get "cut off."

Put your shows on KUID and then see how your To Do list looks. If your SPs are still scheduled 6-7 days into the future and you watch/delete stuff regularly, it all works fine.