Why is my S3 frequently tuned to the same channel on both tuners?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by morac, Sep 7, 2007.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

This has perplexed me ever since I've gotten my S3 and I just noticed it again so I figured I'd ask. Every once and a while I'll turn on my TV and find that my S3 has tuned the same channel on both it's tuners. This is impossible to do manually since if tuner 1 is on channel X and tuner 2 is on channel Y and you are viewing channel Y and try to change to channel X it will just swap tuners. So the TiVo does this by itself.

It seems to have something to do with suggestion recordings, but I was under the impression that the tuner should go back to the old channel when done recording the suggestion which wouldn't explain how both tuners end up on the same channel.

Anyone else notice this or have any insight as to why this is happening?

2. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    This usually happens to me when my TiVo has rebooted. Do you have the 30 sec skip or the on screen clock back doors turned on? If your back doors are gone, then you can confirm the reboot happened while you weren't watching.

3. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Nope, not a reboot. Somehow the tuners just periodically end up on the same channel.

4. Chico

Chico New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    I have seen this multiple times. It also happens when I set up a manual recording, often TiVo will record the same show on the other tuner as a suggestion.

5. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006

Advertisements

I don't have suggestions turned on but I have some season passes set to record a minute extra; when two episodes of the same show are aired back to back, the overlap minute is recorded by both tuners and then both tuners end up on the same channel.

6. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    hey Ilene, what is on screen clock back door?

7. Ilene

Ilene Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Plano, Tx
    Select > Play > Select > 9 > Select > Clear

You give up Closed Caption when you do this - "bug" introduced with 8.3 for the S3, not sure about THD because I don't have one yet. Technically not a bug, since TiVo does not officially support back door codes.

If you don't know about the 30 second skip back door, it is the same sequence above, but substitute 30 for the 9. Changes the ->| key above the 3 on the remote to 30 second skip.

To turn off either, repeat the pattern again.

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I've seen the same thing, and I attribute it to recording suggestions earlier. If for example a suggestion at hour 1 is recorded on tuner 1, channel 1, and one is recorded on tuner 2, channel 2, and then another suggestion is recorded at hour 2 on tuner 2, channel 1, and nothing on tuner 1, you'll see them on the same channel at hour 2 and possibly after that. I'm pretty sure that's not a too uncommon scenario in my case (as I use a pretty limited number of channels and season passes).

9. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've got a similar, but more troublesome problem. My TiVo HD thinks its recording two programs, but when I swap tuners, I get a blank screen, while both cards show up as tuner 0 and tuned to the same channel in diagnostics.

Even stranger, everything was working fine when the box was recording two TiVo suggestions earlier this evening, and now its not. Stranger still, this may have happened yesterday (day one for this box), but I can't say for sure that the second card was actually working, only that I noticed it when it was supposed to be recording the same channel.

I'm not so sure this is a CableCARD thing anymore. Anyone? Any ideas?

Not gonna get into the 26 minutes on hold with TiVo support with no answer.

UPDATE: Now that it's stopped thinking it's recording two shows *I* wanted simultaneously, I can swap tuners and they both seem to be working. This is all sorts of effed up.

Thanks,
    Chris