Why is guide so slow on HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bjbyers, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 10
    bjbyers

bjbyers New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    My HR10-250 receiver was far from cheap, so why is the guide load speed similar to the low end (ie: free) receivers? I also continue to be surprised at the slow processing of very simple requests, like recording a season pass and "please wait" can sit on the screen for 5-10 seconds. My 5 year old RCA Ultimate TV receivers are still easier to use and significantally faster when loading menus, setting recordings, etc. I know Ultimate TV is six-feet-under, but I would expect my new HR10-250 to at least be as efficient and fast. Am I missing something?

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 10
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Nope, it's pokey.

The garage hardware hacks at TiVo just kept expanding and expanding using essentially the same hardware platform. So you get what you have there now. There was a band aid software fix that helped with the SD units, but the HD units are unlikely to get that "fix".

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 10
    JaserLet

JaserLet New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Midwest
    Even the old VideoGuide was faster than DTivo.

(Remember the VideoGuide ? It was sort of a cross between Tivo and VCRplus+, wicked cool little gadget for its time and had a *fast* on screen display, especially considering it got its programming information over the wireless pager network -- no modem!) I bought mine at RadioShack and used it a lot for the year before Gemstar bought it out and killed it off.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 10
    bjbyers

bjbyers New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    OK, so clearly I am a newbie at much of this... but I don't understand why the technology has gone downhill when its predecessors (like Ultimate TV) were pretty strong products. Some industry standard of lawsuit treat force them down this path, or was it by choice? I have bought a few crappy receivers in my day for spare or rarely used rooms, and didn't mind a slow interface because they were very cheap and essentially disposable. But at $500 for this bad boy (I am at about week 12 still watiing for the "rebate") I expect more. Maybe they charge that... because they can? Must be a subsidary of our friends in Redmond :) Ahhh if only Ultimate TV would come back. What an amazing product way ahead of its time. Microsoft should never have confused potential Ultimate TV receiver customers with the whole WebTV travesty. If they would have focused on the DVR capabilities (ie: TWO tunners with simultaneous record, record and playback... all back 90's...) Ok, I am done reminiscing. Back to my "please wait" reality. I wonder if I openend it up if I would see a Commodore 64 chip inside it :)

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 10
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    You might alos find the "List" type of guide to be faster. You can change it by hitting "Display" when you are in the guide.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 10
    Spoonie G

Spoonie G New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    5 to 10 seconds? Wait until the Hard-Drive Starts filling up with programs, That 5-10 seconds will turn into 2-3 minutes.

The HR10-250 sucks :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

The only improvements that my HR10-250 HD Tivo had over my Ultimate TV are:

1) Picture Quality (HD Only, Ultimate TV didn’t decode HD)
    2) Storage Space
    3) Remote range (Maybe?)

Other than that the HR10-250 is horrible. I'm also new here so I'm sure that this has been covered ad-nauseam. But I have to vent. I feel really stupid because I purchased the HD-DVR back in Jan of 2004 for $1000.00 US.

The unit sucks. Here are my gripes

1) Setting up a recording results in a "please wait" message being displayed on the screen for up to 3 minutes. During that time you can't do anything. You can't change the channels, switch tuners, nothing. You can't do anything until it's finished. My HD-DVR was okay at first but once the hard-drive began to have a few shows in it things slowed down terribly. My ultimate TV in comparison was super quick even when the Hard Drive was full. I like to set up multiple shows all at one time. I can’t do that with the HR10-250 because it would take over a half of an hour to setup 10 shows to record.

2) While setting up a recording the unit will detect possible conflicts (more than 2 shows being recorded at once). Since the unit has two tuners the HD10-250 is capable of recording two shows at once. When the HR10-250 detects that 2 shows are already being recorded it warns you with a message and displays only one of the other conflicting recording. There are 2 recording that are in conflict, why not display the other one? The main problem with this is that when the system gives you the option of canceling the previously setup recording, you only get one choice. What about the other program? To even see what the other conflicting recording is, you have to go to my “to do list”, and delete the recording there. Who ever designed this thing is a fool!

3) The program guide completely covers the picture. You don’t even get the option of having a little picture window in the corner. The picture is there, it’s just completely covered by the menu. At least you can hear the program. The other menus are worse. You don’t get any picture or sound.

4) The “TV Power” button is right next to the “instant replay” button. Who in their right mind would put the power button next to the most used button on the remote? I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve accidentally turned off my T.V instead of doing a quick rewind.

5) Navigating through all menus are super slow. If you suffer from anxiety, I would recommend that you stay away from this unit.

6) You have to delete recordings one at a time. The Ultimate TV was able to put check marks on the recording and delete them all at one time.

7) The unit will not warn you if you are changing channels while you have a program paused. I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve leaned on the remote (accidentally changing channels). Switching back the channel goes to Live TV so the amount of the show that I had paused is gone forever. What I do is record the program while I’m watching it. So if I were to attempt to accidentally change the channel it would tell me to stop the recording first and I wouldn’t miss the half hour of the show that I had paused. Which in some cases was the entire show! The Ultimate TV prevented you from changing channels by telling you to go to Live TV first.

I’m not sure of its politics or whatever but if that’s the best Diretv could do after over two years of having an HD-DVR product then they are hurting. I’m praying that the R15 will be better because at the moment there aren’t any other competing HD-DVRs. Why is that?

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 10
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    The R15 isn't a HD-DVR.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 10
    Spoonie G

Spoonie G New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    So it's just a "regular" DVR? Is there any word about an HD-DVR to replace the 250? Thanks.

9. Jan 7, 2006 #9 of 10
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    You're looking for the HR20-250. Discussed extensively in this thread from CES.

10. bjbyers

bjbyers New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Great.... a more expensive piece of junk. If I didnt want to record HD my HR10-250 would have been for sale on about about 20 minutes after I installed it.