Why is FF/RW so jerky?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tivogurl, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004

Advertisements

I find that fast forward and rewind on a TiVo HD, when compared to my S2DT, is a lot less smooth. There seems to be a lot more skipped between frames (even though it doesn't appear to actually be faster at FF/RW) and it's a lot harder to stop in a precise spot. Is this intrinsic to the HD, and if so why does it happen?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TiVo Series2 DVRs re-encoded analog video in a uniform manner. The compression settings remained the same throughout the program.

The TivoHD does not re-encode digital channels. It records the channels as is. Different channels use different encode parameters, and cable companies often use various encoder tricks to reduce bandwidth, which comes at the expense of FF/REW smoothness. Furthermore, many cable companies insert their local commercials using an entirely different set of encode parameters, so the main program and national commercials use one set of parameters, while the local commercials use another.

3. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I've noticed that it's always only jerky when the commercials are on. The second it goes back to the show, it's smooth. IMO, they purposely put the stuttering in so that you get a better glimpse of the commercials and the brain will still recognize familiar logos and brands during the commercials even when fast forwarding. It wasn't always like that on my S3. One of the software updates caused it somewhere around a year or two ago.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    This is not the case. Refer to my post above as it explains the issue.

Cable operators and cable channels that don't do (or allow) local commercial insertion are just as smooth (FFW though commercials) as the TiVo was at release.