Why is DTV the ONLY HD provider with mandatory contracts?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by fastep, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    I just read in another post of a DTV subscriber who recently switched to dish and got the VIP622 (pretty cool mpeg4 unit from what I have read)for $299 and posted that he had the OPTION to sign a contract and receive credits for doing so or not sign a contract at all. I recently added Comcast HD (and LOVE IT!!)with NO contract required. I have read that Verizon FIOS tv requires NO contracts as well.

Why then does DTV have a MANDATORY contract??!! Not only that, starting Wednesday they are INCREASING their mandatory contract period from one year to TWO YEARS AND charging MORE for their HD DVR up front??!! Is there a hidden BONUS from DTV that I am just missing? Especially since Comcast and Dish offer MORE HD programming. What's the deal? Does anyone know?

GOOD LUCK DTV!!!!!!

Comcast - call 1-888-COMCAST
    Dish Network - call 1-800-966-7147
    Verizon Fios TV - http://www.verizon.net/fiostvcall
    Directtv - call 1-800-DIRECTTV

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    jesus. go away please.

3. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

Aren't you curious or do you let companies just walk all over you? It's like leading sheep to slaughter and we're the SHEEP!!

No I won't go away as I hope to educate others BEFORE they get stuck. Or maybe someone can explain DTV's reasoning other than to CONTAIN current customers and LIMIT choices! If someone can do that satisfactorily I WILL stop posting and maybe I'll even re-sign with DTV. I believe we all DESERVE an answer!

If you like being locked with little choice - more power to you!

4. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I would like to know the answer to that question myself. I am getting more and more fed up with DirecTV everyday. I am really looking forward to the TiVo Series 3 and cable. I may be going back to cable next year or sooner. Will see.

5. bgtimber75

bgtimber75 New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    When I first signed up it was a 1 year comitment and I didn't have a problem with it. 2 years is excesive though. Especially if you have to pay for equipment up front. At least with Cellphone service you're getting the equipment at a greatly reduced price.

6. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

EXACTLY!!! REDUCED equipment pricing and/or service discounts for signing a contract (like Dish). That makes sense. I thought I was the only one who noticed! Good to know there's others out there that want the best bang for their buck!!

7. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I'm not locked in and you're just a freaking annoying troll.

One or two posts is OK, but this isn't the "I must save the ignorant from DTV" forum where you must feel compelled to post the same thing in half a dozen threads. Any more than that just marks you as a rube.

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Starting 3/1/2006...

you'll be able to lease equipment at a certain price and have a commitment period of 1 or 2 years depending on the type of equipment you get

OR

you'll be able to buy equipment at a certain slightly higher price and NOT have a commitment period

9. BlankMan

BlankMan I'm the Kettle

Mar 30, 2002
    WI
    It be nice if you followed your own advice.

I find this subject interesting, and Doug posted information that I was not aware of, so this thread is serving its purpose of disseminating information.

10. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Walk all over you? :confused: Let's see... company X has a term contract. Customer... yes it's acceptable or no it's not. Seems pretty simple to me. No 'education' needed. Perhaps you underestimate people's ability to make an informed decision because you had some problem understanding the simplicity of either accepting it or not. <shrug>

11. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Based on info in their recent Investor Day slideshow, I'd guess it is to keep customers from leaving at the drop of the hat for starters. By giving you one more step between you and the door, you might reconsider a change from DTV to someone else. If this means you have to packup and send back your equipment to revoke the 1 or 2 year contract, you once again are put in a position where you will not be able to simply just switch.

I don't always agree with it, but if you are a longer term customer you should always be able to get out of contracts. Since your history with them is proof that you are not going to take flight when a better deal comes along.

12. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

Are you telling me a two year contract is ACCEPTABLE to you ??? If it's that simple to you than you're the PERFECT DTV customer!!!!!

Loyalty is one thing but come on!

13. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

I'll go where it is SIMPLEST to switch thank you. Last I checked, I live in America. Let's see, hmmmmmm, DTV - LOCKED IN, all other HD service providers - SIMPLE TO SWITCH and save money! Which way should I go?.......

And yes - customers like me, (you know, a VERY LONG-TERM (8 years) customer that spent $2000 on TWO lousy hdtivos and averaged $130 a month for programming and bought the NFL package since it started), I was informed there was nothing that could be done about the contract that started over when I activated an r-10 a few months ago. So if you are waiting for a policy change I wouldn't hold my breath!

14. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Cable doesn't allow you to buy your equipment, as far as I know. Even if they did, I don't believe they'd offer up a HD-DVR for $299-$100MIR like DirecTV did back in August. I understood at that time that there was a 2 year commitment (started on advanced equipment at the beginning of that month), but if I back out I can send it back or pay a prorated amount on the balance. I also have a Lifetime DVR service, $199 I paid 5 years ago next month, and that's something else cable won't do.

You really do need to pick a new theme, fastep, you're coming off as a "one note" poster. You weren't happy so you left. That's fine, no one should stay in a situation where they're not happy, if they're able to move. But, it's like you think everyone should follow you. I've checked out what my cable co. has to offer and I'll pass. No FOX, CBS, or NFL Network in HD? I'm not giving up NFL-ST if you can't offer me those things at a bare minimum.

15. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I agree with a lot of what fastep is saying here. I agreed to a one year contract with DTV two years ago. Then when I had a problem with my HR10-250 that needed replaced, DTV took it appon themselves to re-up my contract for another year and did not tell me about it. I bought another HR10-250 and they upped my contract another year without telling me. I found this all out after the fact. I am working on getting the contacts removed from my account.

Most cable companies will pay you $200 to switch to cover the contact fees though.

I do not agree with what DTV is doing with contracts.

This is America you know, and you should be able to switch to whomever you what whenever you want.

If I get a better deal somewhere else I will be leaving DTV too. I just can not get TiVo and HD in one box from anyone else. When that changes, I will change too.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong :)

16. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

Just called DTV (again) and this is the scoop:

Starting 3-1-06: HD DVR lease only through DTV - upfront cost $749 less $100 rebate and $99 installation. TWO YEAR AGREEMENT IS MANDATORY!!! This is the 3rd time I have been told this. PLEASE - If you have information to the contrary please post who you talked to. THREE DIFFERENT retention supervisors have been ADAMANT that the CONTRACT is NOT NEGOTIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    If they offered what I wanted, and depending on the 'penalty' for quitting early, then yes. If they didn't offer what I wanted or I didn't like the penalty, then no. How much simpler can it be? :confused:

18. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

Unfortunately, you are wrong. What is really unfortunate for DTV subscribers is that just the OPPOSITE is true! With cable holds the future for HD Dvrs in something called "cablecard" which allows manufacturers to mass produce HD Dvrs that can be customized to work with any cable and Fios Tv provider. This technology does NOT work with satellite.

Therefore, your CHOICE of HD Dvrs will be geatest with cable. I have already bought 2 sony 500gb HD DVRS and like those even better than the cable moto 6412! There are at least 3 more coming soon (Tivo3, Panasonic 250gb,3-tuner HD Dvr and a new sony dual tuner (mine only has one).

With DTV - you are allowed ONE CHOICE - $749 up front to rent it and a TWO YEAR COMMITTMENT!!!!! (Or get one on ebay cheaper maybe?)

Listen - I'll say it again - Loyalty is one thing but come on !

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They're mixing up purchase terms with lease terms.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=287514

20. bgtimber75

bgtimber75 New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    So does that mean I can buy an HD Tivo on E-bay today and activate it on Wednesday without a 2 year commitment? If that's the case then it's not as bad as I thought.