Why get connected to the internet with Tivo in Canada?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by binky11, Sep 27, 2007.

1. binky11

binky11 New Member

Feb 7, 2007

Advertisements

I'm hoping maybe somebody can answer my question, I am getting very confused.
    Most of the advertisements, specials, contests ect that I get sent to me are only good to USA residents. I bought my Tivo from Vancouver, BC Canada and live in Kelowna, BC Canada. I was seriously thinking about getting the wireless USB adapter and "get connected" However....... my main reason for wanting to do this was to be able to take advantage of the "unbox" feature but now find out that is only available to USA residents as well. What would/could be the advantage of getting an adapter here in Canada? Would it be a complete waste of time or is there some features available to me? Thx for any help.

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    I thought all subscribed Tivos in Canada needed to be broadband connected because there are no local phone numbers to dial into in Canada. Am I wrong?

3. binky11

binky11 New Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Yes there is a local number, broadband not required, and wondering if I am able to access anything that is normally available to broadband users.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can access any content, features, and contests/games not limited to US viewers. Yes, Unbox and most contests are not open to Canadians, but most of the online features and TiVoCast content are avilable to Canadians.

Networking also allows you to take advantage of home networking features such as Pictures&Music, and TiVoToGo and ToVoToComeBack.

There are TiVo dial-in POPs all across Canada, although not as many as the USA.

5. binky11

binky11 New Member

Feb 7, 2007

Advertisements

I've yet to find "any" of them available to Canadians. I know every contest I've gone to enter in the past year and a half has been open to US residents only.

All the email specials I get are for US residents only.

6. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Well TTG and TTCB make the networking worth it by themselves in my opinion. The other features, especially Unbox, are nice to have and it sucks that you can't get them in B.C., but none of them are the reason I originally networked my TiVo.

7. PlayTeeVee

PlayTeeVee New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Hi!

If you can enter an IP address ( under 'Add a Server' in Music, Photo's & More ) you can play the games on our server. The same goes for applications on Apps.tv

-The PlayTeeVee Team

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Most, if not all of the TiVoCast programs should be available to Canadians.
    I don't believe OneTrueMedia is restricted. I am sure all of the HME features (except contests), including PlayTeeVee and apps.tv will work in Canada. They do for me anyways.

In short, about the only things not available are contests (likely due to international contenst rules, or Canadian (or various provincial) contest rules.), and Unbox (due to the fact Amazon could not or would not acquire Canadian rights for their offerings).

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 10
    TinyT

TinyT New Member

May 23, 2006
    I used a phone line from Toronto since 2000 on my first gen Sony. I first han a rediler but soon found out It was not needed. There are local numbers. All my other TiVos are connected to the net.

10. TinyT

TinyT New Member

May 23, 2006
    No TiVo works great hear over the network. I just cant buy or rent content off tivo :eek:(