Why even use TiVo To Go?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jon1, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jon1

Jon1 New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

I just set up my TiVo to my wireless network. Which is kinda neat. BUT--I assume the primary reason for people to do this is to download shows from TiVo and record them to DVD. Well, after spending 60 bucks for the wireless adapter, now that I find out I need to buy Sonic My DVD for sixty MORE bucks, then deal with all its ideosyncrasies that I have read about on the boards. Wouldn't it be wiser just to spend a few more bucks and buy a DVD recorder and hook it directly to TiVo? Just wondering if this revelation has dawned on anyone else...

2. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    My wireless-b adapter was only $25, and I found a copy of Sonic for something around freeish.

You are forgetting about the reverse as well. I download TV shows and movies, convert them to Tivo, and transfer them to my Tivo to watch them on my big tv instead of my PC. This saves me on the time and cost of burning DVDs. Lastly, I use Tivo-to-go to free up space on my 40 hr tivo and store them on my 160 gig pc harddrive.

3. jstr

jstr New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    What software do you use for the conversion to TiVo, and what format are the files you are downloading?

4. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    For us the main reason wasto be able to move programs from one DVR tothe other -- MRV.

Michael

5. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana

Advertisements

The only thing Iuse it for is clearing out my Tivo when it starts to get full. I simply move it from the 80gb Tivo onto my 200 gig PC, and then when I want to watch the shows, I transfer them back.

6. padmalinowski

padmalinowski New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Madison, WI
    First of all, some people use TivoToGo to move programs onto their laptops; they can then watch their chosen programs on their laptop screen even when they're miles away from their TiVo.

Secondly, hooking up to the home network enables you to do your daily connection via Internet and it engages all of the new online features (weather, podcasts, games).

Third, Nero works just fine for burning DVDs, with a little extra care and watering.

Fourth, as was mentioned, shop around; wireless adapters can and should be had for less than $60.

Finally, and I just figured this out, BACKUPS. Suddenly your Tivo isn't limited to 40/80 hours, but you can buy as much hard drive capacity as you want for your PC and archive TiVo recordings there for later....

7. Jon1

Jon1 New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Massachusetts

8. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    If I use a dvd recorder to get shows off my tivo no one else can use the tivo during the transfer. (you actually have to play the show on the tivo to record to a dvd recorder)

Using tivo2go, I can download a show and watch something else on the tivo at the same time.

9. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I am downloading mostly Divx or Xvid encoded avi files from Bit Torrent sites. The software I use to convert these files is fantastic and free:
    http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/TiVo/

They quickly convert the avi files to mpeg2, and Tivo plays them perfectly.

10. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I can't discuss that here read the post above to get an idea. MyDVD 6.2 is worth the price.

11. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Thanks for that link. I was just looking for a program to do that.

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I have a 300 gig hard drive JUST for TTG'ed shows! I have 160 simpsons epsidoes, all family guy eps, all The Office, current seasons of arrested, nip/tuck, and a few more.

This way I can reverse TTG back whenever I want, and w/ orb.com I can watch these shows anywhere, including at work.

So with TTG I turned my 40 hour tivo into like a 300+ hour tivo :)

13. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    TTG is good for archiving any new Fox series so it can be watched in the summer only if the series doesn't get cancelled.

14. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Yeah thats what I use my 200gig for. Nothing but Tivo stuff. Why modify the Tivo, when a PC works just as well.

15. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You can also use Sonic to edit out commercials if you are so inclined. When you burn directly to a DVD recorder, you can't do that (in most instances).

16. Jon1

Jon1 New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't it easier to to just record the movies and TV shows on TiVo to begin with?

17. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    If everything was shown in the US I'd agree. Despite that there are times when you miss a show.

18. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah that is a tough one. TiVo - Get working on that!

19. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Woops!
    Sorry 'bout that Mike. You replied and I deleted at the same time!
    :eek:

nhaigh is a little faster than me!
    :)

20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Looks like I beat you too it though :)