Why doesn't Tivo have 4 Speed Fast Forward?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mjsmith3, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mjsmith3

mjsmith3 Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Fairfield, CT

Advertisements

The 4 speed fast forward is about the only feature of the SARA HD DVR that I thought was an improvement over Tivo. Seems like it would be relatively easy for Tivo to add to the 3 speeds that are already there (not like it is a brand new feature).

Anyone know why Tivo hasn't done so already?

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Probably the same reason TiVo doesn't have two or six FF speeds, when you design a produce you have to have some spec. to go with, this is the first complaint I heard about FF speed as most of us use the 30 second skip.

3. kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    Perhaps because they offer the skip to tick function? Fast forwarding at 3x requires some pretty descent concentration for me to come out of it at the right point in the program. If I need to FF or RW any faster, I'll use the Skip to Tick for moving in 15 minute chunks. YMMV

4. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    11!

This is a top, to, uh, you know, what we use on stage, but it's very, very special, because, if you can see...

Yeah...

...the numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board: eleven, eleven, eleven, eleven...

Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Exactly.

Does that mean it's louder? Is that any louder?

Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most... most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up... you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

I don't know...

...nowhere! Exactly! What we do is if we need that extra... push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Put it up to eleven.

...Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

The 4X FF is essential on my SA8300HD, because (1) it doesn't bookmark where you are in a recording if you leave it, and (2) it doesn't have 'skip-to-tick'. Combine the two, and it becomes extremely painful to have to FF your way back to where you were, when you leave a recording in the middle. So the 4X-FF helps (somewhat) to make up for these shortcomings. BTW, this assumes you can even remember where you were when you come back to continue watching a recording at a later time.

The way the TiVo remembers where you are when you leave a recording (how could any software engineer not program this feature :confused: ), combined with skip-to-tick, makes a 4X-FF unneeded. I have both types of DVR, and use 4X all the time on the SA8300HD, and have never missed it on a TiVo.

I don't know if that's true. I don't use it. But i'm not most of us. :)

6. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Spinal Tap. That was a hilarious.

7. mjsmith3

mjsmith3 Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    I guess skip-to-tick would work but I have set up the Tivo for the 30-second skip so that feature isn't available.

It's not often it would be needed, but I'm thinking of times when watching a live football game that's being recorded. If I have to turn it off in the middle, when I go to watch it over I have to start from the beginning and painfully fast forward through 1 1/2 hours of programming. I guess I could switch the Tivo back to skip-to-tick to do that, then back to 30 second skip afterwards, but it seems like a hassle.

8. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    You can actually do both. Before you press the advance button on the remote, hit the fast foward button once and then the advance button and that should solve your problem.

9. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Because the 3xFF on the Tivo is faster than the 4xFF of the SA. You don't need 4xFF just for the sake of having 4.

Looks like another troll, btw. This board is becoming less fun to visit.

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Why watch it live if it is being recorded? Even if you want to watch it in realtime, go to the NP List and start watching as it is being recorded. That gives you all the start and stop options.

11. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Skip-to-Tick doesn't get disabled with 30-second skip. Get your facts straight before you troll.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Not on my SA8300HD. I would guesstimate that 4X is going about ... oh hell, why guess. Gimme a minute and I'll go time it.

Ok, I'm baaaaack...
    One hour show on SA8300HD takes 26 seconds on 4X.
    Same show on S3 on 3X takes 62 seconds.
    Using skip-to-tick takes .8 seconds :D

Reminder that SA DVRs use different software versions.

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    4x FFW is worthless if the DVR fails to record the show. :p

14. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    My video IPod remembers, but if it shuts itself off due to low power, it forgets all the places.

This is Apple we are talking here- so I guess having a sane UI is a really really hard problem for most companies. Not sure why that is so.